WA Cannington WA airplane noise

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by foxyleemoo, 5th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. foxyleemoo

foxyleemoo Member

Hi all.

Looking to buy in Perth.
    Have seen some good places in my budget around Beckenham and Cannington.
    I don't know heaps about Perth, but looking on the map the areas look very well located close to city, shop, train station and airport.
    I've read some decent reviews on the area except one reaccuring con is airplane noise.
    Does anyone know/live(d) in the areas and can provide feedback?

Thanks

Dave

2. foxyleemoo

foxyleemoo Member

3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I don't live there but I have inspected houses in Queens Park, East Cannington and Beckenham. In Queens Park when a plane flies over you can't talk over the noise. I didn't notice so much in East Cannington or Beckenham. ANEF contours may provide some guidance.

JohnPropChat likes this.
  4. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

@Perthguy is right. Check the ANEF maps.

Cannington/Queens Park surrounding is over priced stock. When similar money + a bit more can get you better stuff inner city.

BTW, I consider Cannington to be the last point for middle-ring. Beckenham is start of outer city IMO. Keep looking you'll find good stock inner/middle ring.

Perthguy likes this.
  5. Perthguy

I don't mind Beckenham. It's cheap and end values are very low if you are developing but access to the city is good and I think it will go well when the market recovers.

Ross Forrester and JohnPropChat like this.
  6. JohnPropChat

Don't forget to factor in higher earth works as south of Cannington tends to be not as sandy.

Perthguy likes this.
  7. Perthguy

True. Parts of Gosnells, Beckenham and East Cannington can be affected by clay soils.

Not sure about Thornlie.

JohnPropChat likes this.
  8. JohnPropChat

9. Stu6161

Stu6161 Member

Dave, Aircraft noise is definitely an issue in parts of Cannington. A starting reference is here Request Rejected . It seems well researched, but not a simple answer. I can also provide an assessment if you provide a specific property address. Unfortunately I am not yet operating in Perth, so can't do in-the-field monitoring, but for aircraft noise, Noise#Risk rating is pretty accurate. Check out my site here

Stuart Clough. Noise#Net property noise monitoring.

10. foxyleemoo

foxyleemoo Member

Thanks mate. One place i was looking at is on grey st.

Dave

11. Stu6161

Stu6161 Member

Dave, can you leave a message for me on my website noisenet.com.au and I will shoot you a detailed reply. In short - looks like the aircraft noise is bad. Also greyhounds at one end of the street and bus depot at the other. Noise will likely be an issue. But if you are building, you can design for noise - it costs a bit more in insulation, heavier windows etc, but worthwhile in my view if the land prices are cheap enough to compensate.

Cheers

Perthguy and Joynz like this.
  12. Stu6161

Stu6161 Member

Dave, (and others)

I have run my Noise#Risk model on the midpoint of Grey Street, Cannington. It looks at traffic, aircraft noise and points out other obvious potential noise sources. (can't help with #noisyneighbours, dogs, kookaburra in old gum trees etc, without putting a monitor at the property). But it is a good start, and in this case tells you a lot of what you want to know.

Let me know your thoughts on the report - is it helpful? If you wanted one for another property - would you pay? How much?

Likewise - would a report that includes the dogs, neighbours etc. be of value?

Cheers

Stuart

Attached Files:

Phase2 and Perthguy like this.
  13. Stu6161

Stu6161 Member

Dave, Did you have a chance to look at the report, I would appreciate some feedback if you did.
    Was it useful? Could you follow it? Would you (or others) see value in analysis service like this?
    Cheers Stuart

14. foxyleemoo

foxyleemoo Member

Hi Stuart.

yes thank you, I did look at the report. I think those extra services would be very useful.
    I could see myself and other people using something like this hand in hand with other reports, like building and pest.

Thanks

Dave