Cancelling Real Estate Contract

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by alexm, 24th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

Hi there,

I signed a NSW contract for sale with a real estate agent (exclusive agreement for three months) which has now passed and the existing agent still has the listing.

Unfortunately I am unhappy with their performance (or lack thereof) and am planning to list the property with another agent.

If I list this property with another agent, would the poor performing agent still be entitled to a commission if it sold through another agent outside of the exclusive agreement window?

Thanks
    Al

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Read the agreement and see how you can terminate the contract. If you don't terminate you may still be liable.

Perp likes this.
  3. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

Further to what Terry_w posted, if a buyer who the first agent has already introduced to the property buys, possibly. If there are no solid potential buyers around, shouldn't be an issue.

380 likes this.
  4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

From personal experience you want the former agent to agree to terminate the contract. A new agent may also refuse to take on the listing if their fee may be in dispute later.

Without the contract being mutually terminated you would need legal advice on the potential to pay more than the one sale commission. If the original agent says "no" then you can assured that the contract you entered into needs legal advice.

Luke T and Perp like this.
  5. 380

380 Well-Known Member

Send termination letter in detail in writing!!!
    Where is a property? Why hasn't it sold for 3 months??

6. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback. I'll double-check the sales contract for any termination clauses.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia