Cancelling Managing Authority

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Hodor, 8th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Just confirming this won't cause me any headaches or additional costs and is generally the right thing to do.

I signed a managing authority with an REA, good history of managing properties with people I know, seemed to have the right answers and informed on the area my property is located with a good track record there.

A week later they leave unexpectedly (per an email sent to other people but not myself) and a new property manager appears, they had the keys etc already so I thought I would stick with them, but so far.
    The photos are terrible, didn't even bother to open all the blinds or turn lights on so they are dark.
    Write up is worse, grammatically wrong, mistakes like "600ml oven" and only three lines long. No effort has been put in at all.
    The asking rent seems too high, I questioned this briefly and she said "we always start high and go from there" - was going to correct this tomorrow, instead I am thinking of grabbing the keys off them and saying goodbye.

I have signed the managing authority but not received a counter signed agreement/copy and no open houses have taken place although one is booked for this Saturday.

Will there be charges to cancel this agreement? I would presume not as I have not received a signed copy - therefore we don't have a "contract". - am I right here?

Would anyone give her the benefit of the doubt to do the weekend open, doubt there is time to get another agent now.

Am I been harsh?

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Possibly, but also possibly not.

If you want to terminate the contract, you should probably move quickly to communicate it to them though.

3. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

I'm a big softie.

Explained I wasn't happy, why and it needs to be fixed today.

Hopefully I won't regret giving them a chance.

4. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

If the property is in NSW, you must get a countersigned copy of the agreement within 48 hours of signing or there is no agreement.

5. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Dearest Hodor,
    they started off a bit sloppy, declined to communicate, and haven't advertised the place 'in the best light'
    What are you waiting for? Start interviewing another agent !
    Cheers

6. Nick Valsamis

Nick Valsamis Well-Known Member

You already pointed out the low quality service they have provided you with.
    It looks like that is how they operate and it won't change in the future.

Also starting the rent high is a bad move. The majority of enquiries comes in during the first week and having a high price and bad photos will set you back and most likely cost you additional vacancy.