Cancelled holiday deposit issues

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by denis oshannessy, 25th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. denis oshannessy

denis oshannessy Member

Are others experiencing push back getting holiday deposits money returned?

Following this weeks Covid-19 directive to cancel all intestate holidays:
    1. Our one week Airbnb cancellation returned a full refund. Great.
    2. Our Long stay at Caloundra are enforcing their cancel within 3 month policy - which is no refund.
    In our case a $1,600 deposit. This was booked via a large web based booking company.

Not sure where to next...

2. KateSydney

KateSydney Well-Known Member

The other side of that coin is that Airbnb unilaterally refunded money without consulting the owners, many of whom are now wondering how to pay mortgages.

And all the cleaning staff who are now unemployed.

I'm sorry for your loss of $1600 - but in the scheme of things it pales in comparison with the losses being experienced by many. Look on the bright side. If you are not ill and have not lost your job it's probably a cause for gratitude.

Archaon likes this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I would be making enquiries via Fair Trading - you can't even cross the state borders for social reasons.

The very least that they should be offering is a full credit to reschedule.

A very angry review on their website/FB page/google review might nudge them along to seeing sense.

Perthguy likes this.
  4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Booking.com ? Booking.com allows the owner too much discretion and arent able to enforce anything really. The owner runs their own rules. Often they fall back on the original booking. You know how you can choose non-refundable or cancellable and one costs more ? It now costs even more.

Airbnb on the other hand are giving back $$ on no-refund bookings and throwing owners under the bus.

5. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I had a night in Queenstown NZ booked for this Friday, prior to a 5 day hike, then another two nights after the hike.

This Friday was booked via an online booking company, the other nights were direct with the hotel. The hotel gave a full refund, the online company gave nothing and haven't responded to any enquiries.

Fortunately I managed to get credits or refunds for everything else that was booked but I don't think I'll bother saving a few $ with an online booking service in the future.

berten likes this.
  6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

You have to check online sites carefully.

We use bookings.com and cancellation policies are always clearly outlined, if you bother to read them.

The price for non-refundabable is always cheaper than the price for the same room with refund allowed - if both options are available. Some places are non-refundable only, others allow only a partial refund.

7. Paul@PAS

Who? They need to be accountable and naming them is reasonable

8. Paul@PAS

We have 4 units in Germany and they are non refundable but we have given refunds through booking.com as owners dictate policy. Last year in blizzards most rebooked. Red Cross just booked 4 months albeit a low rate for isolation nursing. Karma maybe? It's not making money but it's not a concern

Marg4000 likes this.
  9. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Good news. The hotel has closed due to the NZ shut down, so the booking company has refunded me in full this afternoon. :)

Marg4000 and wylie like this.
  10. denis oshannessy

denis oshannessy Member

Thanks greatly for all the replies. Taking point I was able to finally get most deposit back less the booking fee was retained. Great result. I was able to leverage potential to get fair trades involved. Cheers

11. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Other side of the coin
    The hilton is allowing full refunds on "non refundable" bookings which is great as the government has prevented me from going there.
    Plus retention of hotel status till 2022 due to not being able to stay. (Airlines are the same )

12. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Yeah as soon as you have a problem the online travel agent becomes the off line disappearing agent. :)
    Yes i book direct now too