Canceling lease renewal before it commences

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Brandon., 22nd Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Brandon.

Brandon. New Member

Hi guys!

Just want to ask simple question that can i cancel 1 year fixed term lease renewal starting from July this year?

Im currently living in this property and signed 1 year lease extension on last Feb. I planned to live long but changed mind if its possible to break the extension.

Thank you!!

2. kitdoctor

kitdoctor Well-Known Member

You need @thatbum to answer.

I'd say you should be able to but you may have to meet some of the landlord's costs. For example, the landlord has probably paid a reletting fee to the PM.

3. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Why was the lease renewal signed such a long time in advance? Is this in VIC?

4. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

It might be a simple question, but there definitely isn't a simple answer. A lot more information is required.

I guess if you want to get really simple, then in theory its probably a binding contract and "cancelling" it might mean you owe things like break lease costs.

But there's probably a million variables so who knows.

Stoffo likes this.
  5. Brandon.

Brandon. New Member

There was routine inspection on Feb and as soon as it finishes they sent me electronic document for lease extension. I don’t know why they did so early but anyway... yes im in VIC.

6. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

You would be able to break your lease, but depending on the type of property it may not be a good idea right now.

Unless severely impacted by the current state of affairs, you would still be liable for lease break costs and rent until a new tenant is found. Which if it’s a property in an area that has slowed this could potentially cost a lot of money.

If you’re looking to leave in July when your existing lease ends, speak with the agent/owner and see what they say. Because it hasn’t commenced they may be happy enough to let you leave in July.

Tom Rivera and wylie like this.
  7. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

I guess they wanted to lock in an extension asap, I would definitely explain your reasons for not wanting to extend, see if they'll just let you go, or otherwise might have to negotiate an outcome.

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.