ACT Canberra Property 2018

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Cimbom, 13th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Todd

Todd Well-Known Member

Is the Canberra market now flattening? HTW clock has Canberra houses now in the downwards section (which doesn't seem correct) but SQM research asking prices have definitely flattened out (see link below). I have been to a few house openings in my suburb (Franklin) and attended an auction. Way less people, in fact very few people at the openings, and was 1 bidder at the auction. Less properties going to auction as well overall. Could be the beginning of the end of this growth cycle? Or do we still have some growth in houses to come?
    SQM Research - Weekly Asking Property Prices

2. Jamesaurus

Jamesaurus Well-Known Member

I'm sure if you ask 10 different investors where a certain market is on a property clock you will get 10 different answers, here is the June HTW clock :
    https://storage.googleapis.com/htw-...23d-month-in-review-june-2018_residential.pdf
    FWIW they have Canberra "Approaching Peak of Market".

IMO i'd say no-one likes standing out in Canberra winter for auctions and spring should heat up.

3. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

Agree with @Jamesaurus, makes winter great for buying!

Curoch likes this.
  4. Todd

Todd Well-Known Member

HTW May 2018 had Canberra houses "starting to decline". Now back to approaching peak! Agree that winter is a buying opportunity.

Curoch likes this.
  5. Toilandtrouble

Toilandtrouble Well-Known Member

6. Meri

Meri Member

Whats the thoughts on new area Gininderry ... is worth looking at it as an investment as this is my first investment... thanks

7. clink

clink Well-Known Member

I think you'll find that the consensus on here will be to buy established houses on large blocks of land. There's less of a chance of the capital going sideways or down with established compared to new builds because of the danger of oversupply in green-fields...and be wary of spruikers who can receive substantial kickbacks on sales that are usually factored into the purchase price.

Curoch likes this.
  8. Meri

Meri Member

Thanks for the reply .
    But they say its going to be big area buid 11000 homes ( biger than Gunghalin) with a 5 storey shopping centre...no government housing as its private development ... 6 star energy rating( all houses have to have solar panels) ... location west Belco ... 20 min to city ... first stage sold very quick ...of course it will take about 30 year to finish the project...

9. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

No such thing as no government housing :) just white little lies
    government can buy those apartment or house as a private buyer and put tenants in
    you can be almost certain they will it not if it is when, part of ACT government plan to mix public housing among the suburbs, you just cant picked it out until they have tenants in

10. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

That's not a great strategy for an investment property for the short term (10 years +). It's all to do with supply and demand. To get good prices, you need a demand which is greater than the supply.

I don't think you won't get great resale value for a home there for quite a while. People who move there don't want a home that's been built for them. Typically, for the same money or less, they can build a brand new home exactly to their requirements.

And renters are likely to have a lot of choice.

That's what happened in Jerrabomberra for quite a while, as well as Googong. Apartments in Canberra are going through a similar phase.

I'd suggest that a better strategy would be to buy an established house in an established area, where there is already infrastructure, a limited supply, and a demand. If you can get a house for a good price which requires cosmetic renovation, even better. If those places are out of your price range, go a bit further out- even across the border in Queanbeyan or Jerrabomberra.

And speaking of Queanbeyan - do your homework on what the ongoing costs will be for a house in ACT v NSW, especially rates.

Jamesaurus and Meri like this.
  11. Toilandtrouble

Toilandtrouble Well-Known Member

I concur with others. Buy established properties on larger blocks. I think more than anything it will insulate you from greater risk as the greenfields areas are dime a dozen, far from town and they will definitely get public housing in time.

12. Jamesaurus

For context: these maps show that the established areas will look comparatively even closer to the Canberra CBD:

http://ginninderry.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/West-Belconnen-Masterplan-and-Suburb-pdf.pdf
    Planning and Community - Ginninderry

oracle likes this.
  13. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Agreed.

Our best performing properties in Canberra have always fitted this description. Established homes in established areas on decent blocks that could be renovated for value add.

Our poorest performers have been townhouses/units - I wouldn't bother with them again personally. Body corps are a massive pain too.

Cheers

Jamie

14. Meri

Meri Member

Thanks guys for the advise ... i bought the land now but ill hold it for a bit and try to sell then ...see what i gain from it...
    What about Founders Lane ... 1 bed ...$397000...6 th floor ... as Airbnb...

15. Jamesaurus

Too much supply not enough scarcity in the CBD area for my liking/risk profile

Meri likes this.
  16. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I hadn't realised that you had already bought the land. At that point, it's a bit late to ask if you're buying in the right area. I suspect you're unlikely to make much now from land you've already bought. You may be better off building, though, as suggested, your Cap growth may be a bit slower in the shorter term. In the longer term you may be ok.

Founders Lane is a fair location, but as Jamesaurus says, a big supply and small demand. I think it may be getting a bit late for Airbnb, even though the location is good for one. You're going to have a lot of competition. Rates for units in the ACT are high as well, and will really bite into your income. Do your research well.

Martin73 and Meri like this.
  17. Alex McDonald

Alex McDonald Active Member

Looking at PPOR in Hughes, Curtin or Garran. What are people’s thoughts for these areas? Will be house on an average block of land.

18. Todd

Todd Well-Known Member

I wouldn't risk buying an off the plan apartment in Canberra considering the amount of new apartment buildings with major defects. Also Airbnb sounds good but have you considered all the work involved ie bookings, payments, cleaning, phone calls, repairs etc etc. It's like having a part-time job. If you want to increase yield considering renting it fully furnished on a 6 or 12 month lease instead.

Meri likes this.
  19. Todd

Todd Well-Known Member

Really nice suburbs. Very well located between the city and Woden and this area is really the geographical centre of Canberra. Good schools in the area as well. These suburbs are expensive and have increased in value significantly the past 3-4 years, however long term a good buy and a great place to live.

Alex McDonald and geoffw like this.
  20. Meri

Meri Member

Any idea how the real estate would charge for that service...