ACT Canberra Property 2018

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Cimbom, 13th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

2. Toilandtrouble

Toilandtrouble Well-Known Member

Pretty sad for Molonglo residents there. The area is already way too built up and aesthetically disappointing.

No doubt the ACT Government will push this one through with a slight reduction and pretend everyone is happy. The developer is no doubt shooting for something of 100+.

I went over to the Save Molonglo FB page to help them out. Save Molonglo

SatayKing likes this.
  3. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

I agree with you there about the aesthetics @Toilandtrouble but to me that seems the norm now. I find Lonsdale St, Braddon becoming tacky with the apartments overshadowing the street. And the less I say about South Q in Tuggeranong with delightful views overlooking Bunnings the better.

Didn't know that FB page existed. Ta.

Toilandtrouble likes this.
  4. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

This just sold for 797k :eek:

24 Broadbent Street, Scullin, ACT 2614

Thoughts on the fence at the front? I thought that wasn't allowed here - wouldn't mind doing something similar with our house as it's so low maintenance

clink likes this.
  5. clink

clink Well-Known Member

This one went for 868k :eek::eek::eek:

36 Lachlan St, Macquarie

Fence is a nice way to provide some privacy on the patio but you might go with another colour:

6. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Wow, that's not even that big either. Summer may be a good time to sell this year :p

7. Toilandtrouble

Some strong results this weekend and a solid clearance rate in this environment. Some numbers that look stronger than you would expect for homes with good OO appeal.

I know a few Canberrans hunting for family homes in inner south and inner north. Very competitive for anything without glaring flaws. A number of bidders not in person too.

8. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

Any idea how much this one sold for? It got sold before the auction.

6 Parer St, Scullin

Cheers
    Oracle

9. Coffee

Coffee Well-Known Member

old link..

10. Todd

Todd Well-Known Member

Auction clearance rates the past four weeks in Canberra are 59,65,56 and 49%. A clear drop off, despite the spring weather. Are we at the end of the growth cycle? IMO I think we are, although I don't think prices will drop at all, we are not Sydney or Melbourne, however I think we could be flat for a while for detached houses. Opinions?

11. Hwangers

Hwangers Well-Known Member

question - with so much negative commentary on the increase in land tax, there'd be a lotta disgruntled voters out there - if the current govt is voted out, you think a new govt will ever reduce land tax? or continue as is? or even increase it more?

12. Jamesaurus

Jamesaurus Well-Known Member

Unlikely.. the left like to paint the narrative that anyone that owns a property is a billionaire

13. AnDy62

AnDy62 Active Member

What do people think about investing in Queanbeyan. Obviously pretty cheap and you don't pay the land tax?

14. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

I reckon there can be value in detached houses - but I wouldn't bother with units (it's similar to Canberra in that regard).

Some of the cheaper 1-2 bedroom units haven't moved in price for almost a decade.

Cheers

Jamie

Curoch and Jamesaurus like this.
  15. Hwangers

Hwangers Well-Known Member

oh dear oh dear

16. TheSackedWiggle

TheSackedWiggle Well-Known Member

Jamie,
    even the house price in many ACT region have moved only in last few years, it was stagnent for a very long time.
    A friend of mine had built a house in Forde at its peak in 2006/7 it costed him close to 700k and only now after more than a decade he can look at selling it for 800+k.

I am seeing auctions are cooling off a bit at-least in belco region, what are you noticing?

17. Toilandtrouble

Labor cannot lose in Canberra. Won't happen barring a scandal.

Curoch and AnDy62 like this.
  18. Toilandtrouble

I was surprised to see the auction clearance rate drop below 50 in Canberra. I think we are now seeing buying sentiment suffer from the Syd/Melb collapse. Fortunately detached houses with OO appeal are still in demand, so if you bought well you will be fine.

Still some bullish results on these sorts of houses (see the Lyneham result over the weekend).

19. TheSackedWiggle

TheSackedWiggle Well-Known Member

its not just sentiment, burrowing capacity is chopped by more than 30% and banks are micro scanning any and every expense for last few months.

AnDy62 likes this.
  20. Toilandtrouble

Of course an issue, but not as large an issue in Canberra. Prices are far cheaper and wages generally higher. Plus OO% traditionally very high. From knowing a number of people going through the process in Canberra it sounds like more hoops to jump through and a longer process, but it is still coming through.

oracle likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia