ACT Canberra Property 2017

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Hwangers, 1st Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hwangers

Hwangers Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: 26th Jul, 2018
  2. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

I was in canberra on the weekend and i must say i was impressed with the place, clean streets and cool vibe not as boring of a place as i thought. I stayed at my relatives place in forest which was a beautiful tree lined suburb i was inpressed!! Didnt realise how exxy this suburb was for a town in the bush basically anyway u learn something new everyday i guess.

orangestreet likes this.
  3. orangestreet

orangestreet Well-Known Member

Stay a bit longer and you will realise how expensive everything is for a "town in the bush". A lot of wealthy people in Canberra on excellent public service salaries and terrific job security.

You are not wrong about the place feeling clean and safe. Because it is. I swore I would get the hell out when I first moved here. A decade later, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Sometimes I think the only people who bag Canberra are people who have never lived there. Not different to people who rant about how horrible cruising is. When you probe further, the biggest boat they have ever been on is the Manly ferry :rolleyes:.

Not perfect by any stretch and perhaps not for everybody as well, but a lovely town with many wonderful and friendly people.

4. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

Yes nearly every person who hasnt been there turns there nose up and thinks its a dead town with not much happening.

Its a very nice place the street scape in the suburb forest where i was, was very nice. Whats with everyone having like 3 metre hedges as there front fence??

5. dmb1978

dmb1978 Well-Known Member

Enclosed front fences aren't allowed in Canberra so hedges are the next best thing ;)

6. luckyone

luckyone Well-Known Member

I call Canberra Crappy Canberra all the time and I lived there for 15 years! You couldn't pay me enough to move back there! I loved it for about the first 5 or so years and was bored out of my mind for the rest of the time. So glad I moved to Brissie, a much better lifestyle.

Kangabanga likes this.
  7. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

haha - pretty sure it's one of the most expensive postcodes in the country :)

It's a lovely spot!

Cheers

Jamie

8. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

Yep did some contract work up there for a while. Boring as and pretty cold/dry most of the year. Not near to any sea/coastline is a big negative as well.

Probably will be suitable for those from UK or Canada, used to colder climates.

Sunshine coast and gold coast really can't be beat lifestyle wise.

9. S1mon

S1mon Well-Known Member

yeh its ok but not great...needs to be on the coast i agree...certainly wont be here in retirement

10. Hwangers

the changes in the Canberra landscape in the last decade have been extraordinary ! does peak hour still last 10 minutes on northbourne ?

11. Jamie Moore

Only 5 mins if you're coming from the Inner North :)

Cheers

Jamie

Hwangers likes this.
  12. luckyone

luckyone Well-Known Member

And that's why I moved when I did. Wanted to make plenty of friends up here well in advance of retirement.

13. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

14. Hwangers

wouldnt it be relatively difficult to prove under-quoting in a hot market especially at auction?

Jamie Moore likes this.
  15. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

i have nil idea what's happening in canberra :) but some friends are looking to sell and upsize, they are currently in casey. is there demand in casey? how does the future look?
    i looked to a neighbouring suburb east and a 3x1 20ish years old sold for 400k. Seems like good value for money

16. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on Queanbeyan at the moment? I wasn't around there much when we lived in Canberra but I've now seen some really cute old cottages in the town centre that would be around the same price as our IP (previous PPOR). We are planning to move back in the next few months.

Not sure on the investing merits of selling something in the central Belconnen region to buy over there though but I do like the fireplaces, high ornate ceilings and the other little features.

17. sinidea

sinidea New Member

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on apartments (as a PPOR) in Lyneham / O'Connor / Turner? I've moved from interstate to Canberra about a year ago and really like that general area. I was hoping to avoid larger apartments buildings (e.g. Axis Lyneham) for the more boutique style (5-15 dwellings) you can find in the area.

I was thinking to live in the apartment for a few years whilst saving for a house and then keeping the apartment as an investment property. I'm just pretty wary of the scale of apartment development going on in Canberra and possible capital losses I might suffer if I need to sell the apartment. Also wary of the the planned rate increases from the ACT government for apartments.

Perhaps just smarter to keep renting until I can afford a house and skip this step altogether? Any thoughts are welcome, thanks.

18. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

One of my colleagues owns an apartment in Bruce and now can't sell it as it's worth less than she paid. She is keeping it as a sort of 'forced savings' account for now. I would definitely avoid apartments for the foreseeable future - I have seen some pretty dramatic price drops recently. Rents are also dropping due to oversupply

19. Fitzy

Fitzy New Member

What's your thoughts on Bungendore?Although not technically in the ACT, but close by.

20. Jamie Moore

It's cheaper to buy into then Canberra - but I personally wouldn't live/invest out that way. Longer term growth won't be as good and the commute to/from Canberra (assuming it's for an owner occ) would become annoying. I guess you'd also be competing with Googong which is going to be massive.

Cheers

Jamie

mcarthur likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.