ACT Canberra land tax laws

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Serveman, 15th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

So its a tax on a lease, not the land?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

No, it's a tax on the land borne by the lessee.

Terry_w likes this.
  3. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

Interesting.

So the land tenure doesn't change - under a 99 year lease.

But the lessee sublets it again, for a specific purpose, and rather than tax sublet, they tax the land.

Sounds very Canberra to me.

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

The lessee is treated as the owner for land tax purposes in the ACT

5. Todd

Todd Well-Known Member

More land tax and rates hikes in Canberra coming July 1. On my 2 bed, 2 bath 80m2 apartment in Braddon I currently pay $2,691 in land tax pa and $1,984 in rates. These will both increase by about 10% in next financial year, taking them to $2960 and $2,182. Back in 2012 my rates for the same property were $600 pa, that's an increase of about 220% in 7 years! Equating to a rise of approximately 32% per annum. Over the same period Stamp duty has been reduced and now I would pay 2.4% if I bought the apartment today, significantly less than 7 years ago. However the ACT govt overall stamp duty revenue has significantly increased during this period, due to rising hosue prices. Andrew Barr says " the heavy lifting has been done, and rates and land tax rises will be less from now on" - he is not saying they won't still rise every year for the next 5 years though. Still going up each year, just not by as much.

6. Hwangers

Hwangers Well-Known Member

How has your rental income increased in that timeframe?

7. Todd

Todd Well-Known Member

Yep rents have increased from $500/week to $575/week in this period. Tenants have in effect have shared the increased costs with me. I think rents have increased partly due to less investors in the market (as well as pop growth and a healthy ACT economy) which has a lot to do with the increased holding costs of property in the ACT.

8. IsItWorthWhileToInvest

IsItWorthWhileToInvest New Member

After years of struggling with the rates and land tax hikes the value is no longer there. I have two properties in Canberra and the costs coupled with government fee's are driving investors out. Its sad because the government is only driving a policy of short term gain for long term pain.

9. AnDy62

AnDy62 Active Member

Yet building (units) activity is still surging. I'm curious who is buying up all this stock because I agree investing in Canberra has become increasingly infeasible. Yes, rents have moved higher in response to costs, but not by enough it seems to me.

S1mon likes this.
  10. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

The canberra investors I know seem to be moving their investing activities to local regional NSW options (ie Queanbeyan, Wollongong, South Coast, inland to Wagga Wagga, anything within around 2-3 hrs of ACT), or interstate options such as QLD, ie gold coast etc.

Toilandtrouble and Curoch like this.

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.