ACT Canberra: houses vs Apartments for IP?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by TheSackedWiggle, 25th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TheSackedWiggle

TheSackedWiggle Well-Known Member

I have read in few posts about Canberra, not to touch apartment for an IP compared to houses,

Just wondering given the current depressed pricing of established apartments in Canberra due to potential oversupply is it not a value play in terms of yield?

Inviting @Jamie Moore and other Canberra legends to share their thoughts

2. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Avoid apartments full stop. I know several people who now have negative equity due to purchasing apartments as investments. Given that houses are still relatively affordable, it makes little sense on any level to buy an apartment.

3. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

Look at the number of apartments currently there, and being built, and bring this back to one of the fundamentals for property investing - supply and demand. If your prospective tenants have thousands of apartments vs. a relatively fewer number of houses to choose from (in their chosen area), they will be able to beat down the prices for the apartments.

Have you looked at holding costs for apartments vs. houses in your chosen suburbs?

4. dmb1978

dmb1978 Well-Known Member

I'm trying to sell an established one bedroom apartment now. It's not moving at all and little interest. I understand that it may not be a great investment option currently but for a stepping stone PPOR the P&I repayments at 100% loan are still lower than the weekly rent.

5. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Also don't forget that you still have to pay land tax on apartments too (in addition to other costs like strata, etc)

6. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

The apartment of ex-James Bond was on the market for a couple years I believe.

7. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

I've been called many things.....but a Canberra legend is a first :)

I agree with @Cimbom - avoid them.

The only time I think they might be an ok purchase is if you're a first home buyer who doesn't pay stamps, gets a $7k grant and purchases into a boutique development in the inner south (possibly inner north). I wouldn't bother with Bruce, Gunghalin, etc - others might disagree though.

Cheers

Jamie

8. TheSackedWiggle

Now I am curious... What else you have been called :)

9. TheSackedWiggle

Due to current and potential near future supply glut its a depressed market for established apartments,
    does it not make a value buy given much better yield then houses?

I have seen units in heart of town centre, near mall and close proximity to all amenities, selling at price 15% less then what it was sold at peak of 2007/8, with rental yield of 5-6%.

I have done rough calculation for a scenario,
    taking low end of the current rent spectrum,
    and with 48 weeks of occupancy,
    2k for repairs/yr,
    10% of PM cost,
    LandTax/STRTA/Rates
    and 5% IR on P&I loan
    With NG benefit included,
    YOY out of pocket holding cost is 5k

PS: I am trying to understand the rational behind what makes it a bad investment

Last edited: 25th May, 2017
  10. dmb1978

dmb1978 Well-Known Member

I have never really liked apartments purely because I like land. As far as capital growth, there hasn't been much in certain areas.

Given that they can be little cash cows. They tend to always rent well with good yields and up until recently were relatively cheap to hold. The ACT Government had added extra land tax on apartments so in one year the land tax went from $119 to $1019.

Chris Au likes this.
  11. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

How have you calculated yield? Have you taken into account strata rates and land tax? We are getting about 6% for our house in central Belconnen.

12. TheSackedWiggle

Yield of 5-6% is on gross,
    after expense with an lvr88 P&I loan(5%IR),
    YOY holding cost is -5K on a conservative estimate.

here's my assumptions
    taking low end of the current rent spectrum,
    and with 48 weeks of occupancy,
    2k for repairs/yr,
    10% of PM cost,
    LandTax/STRTA/Rates
    and 5% IR on P&I loan (88% lvr)
    With NG benefit included,
    YOY out of pocket holding cost is 5k

13. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

There are a lot more apartments coming online in most of the town centres. I think any current yield calculations won't mean much in the next 12-24months...

14. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

All good things of course :)

15. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

The strata fees can be a game changer. Make sure they're included and add a buffer. Need a scarcity factor, which im not seeing with all the cleared blocks around.

Jamie Moore likes this.
  16. S1mon

S1mon Well-Known Member

yeah the yield is no where near good enough to make them worth buying....roughly strata + land tax would probably = land tax on a decent block. Rates are probably half, say 1300$ instead of 2600 odd. Apartment rates and land tax are set for another big hike come July i think, see here

"Owners of units and apartments will face a big rates hike this year as the ACT government moves to bring their rates into line with freestanding houses......But that's not the end of the bill shock for people who own units. If the apartment is rented out, owners will also face a substantial increase in land tax - averaging about $480 extra a year"

480! hah...*sigh* ACT gov.

Sure, plenty of people made heaps on OTP etc early 2000's to 2010 or so, but doubt we will see that again for a good decade or 5.

I wouldn't buy either here though based on rates + land tax. unless it was the only state in aus..even then would probably buy shares

17. Pentanol

Pentanol Well-Known Member

Never buy apartments anywhere. Unless the strata is under 1k pa. and its a two-three bedroom apartment at around 300k in the inner north, city or inner south I reckon. I've got a OTP TH in Braddon which I drew 50k equity at settlement to get a house in Brissie :D

18. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

What areas are you looking at? I would **maybe** consider looking at somewhere like Barton as the apartments there seem to have retained their value more and get more rent compared to other units. For that price point though, you could buy a house anyway which would be more of a sure thing IMO.

19. Toilandtrouble

Toilandtrouble Well-Known Member

We have a small established apartment which we fortunately bought at a discount after the previous owners made a loss. The sheer supply of apartments though depresses growth. A few issues with Canberra apartments will continue to keep prices down:

- Supply (Belconnen, Gungahlin, Woden, Civic [Northborne corridor] and Greenway)
    - Tax depreciation changes
    - Land Tax changes
    - Rising interest rates

Canberra has land everywhere and there are not many places that will have restricted supply for a long time.