ACT canberra general

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by S1mon, 22nd Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Yes!

I was just saying the same thing to my wife. After this brutal winter - I'm looking forward to spending time on the deck with the bbq :)

Nemo likes this.
  2. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

...and hopefully the wife :D

jim1964 likes this.
  3. adrian_christian

adrian_christian Well-Known Member

I'm guessing with an Election looming and a (potential) change in government however, there will be ramifications for jobs within the public sector? How long does it take after a change in government for the public sector job shifts to take place?

4. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Depends. If the same govt is returned it is generally business as usual to a certain extent. If a new govt they generally want to make an impact and will generally look to cut jobs. Sometimes the negative sentiment can start well before the election as was the case at the last election as people were aware there was a high chance of a govt change. The Libs were quite open about their plan to slash jobs...

5. adrian_christian

adrian_christian Well-Known Member

If that did happen, what is normally the lag on jobs: 3 months, 6 months, 12 months until it filters through to the property market?

6. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

Depends. In 1996 there was a big impact on the property market...not so much in 2007. 2013 impact on jobs and sentiment, however prices didn't crash, they fell a little, but was pretty flat. Rental market crashed, I think this had a lot to do with oversupply issues as well.

adrian_christian likes this.
  7. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

Depends what you mean by lag!
    Last time the freeze started immediately in caretaker mode and then has continued on almost to this day - close to two years. There's only recently some ads coming up in the APS.
    I wouldn't hazzard a guess as to when the effect on the property market is - there are too many factors. For example, if huge public sevrice cuts were discussed pre-election again and the party saying that won office AND they put them into practice, then the effect could be very swift since many of the age redundancies and low hanging fruit have long since been "picked"/thwacked off the branches and any more would be immediate.
    But if there was a government with a stronger public service mantra again, followed by a cutting one, then potentially the effect could take longer.
    But there's more to Canberra than just that - so the local RE market, consumer sentiments, jobs growth, inflation, etc. have as much (possibly more?) influence.

adrian_christian likes this.
  8. S1mon

S1mon Well-Known Member

9. TheSackedWiggle

TheSackedWiggle Well-Known Member

Auction may be, just may be coming off the boil

Last edited: 2nd Sep, 2015
  10. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

11. S1mon

S1mon Well-Known Member

12. Nemo

Nemo Well-Known Member

I've been watching Dunlop as I potentially have a property to sell - half the listings are auctions which is unusual. House two doors down sold by auction a month or so ago for what I consider a good price.

13. Jamie Moore

Yep - auctions galore in Canberra these days. The vast majority of my clients are purchasing/selling via auction. I'm not sure what prompted this shift- but it seems to have only recently occurred.

14. Allgood

Allgood Well-Known Member

We had an agent attached to our Ngunnawal PM call us and ask if we'd consider selling. I thought they were dreaming when they told me what they'd list it for, but maybe they were onto something!

15. Francesco

Francesco Well-Known Member

? More or less than what you expected?

16. Allgood

Allgood Well-Known Member

sorry, about 50k more. mind you he may well have been talking it up to get a listing. Doesn't really matter because we're not selling.

17. Francesco

Francesco Well-Known Member

Properties in Gungahlin have gone up because of all the talk about the light rail infrastructure, which when developed will be very convenient to residents travelling to the city. Prices have moved up according to my source.

Allgood likes this.
  18. TheSackedWiggle

Hi Canberrians,

Just curious, whats your opinion of Florey (canberra) as a suburb?

Also whats general view on house vs townhouse(with decent land entitlement for each unit ie 600sqm).

-Regards

19. Jamie Moore

Florey is close to the mall - so well located. I'd go a house over a townhouse. Nemo and Simon will know more about Belco.

Cheers

Jamie

20. TheSackedWiggle

Thanks Jamie,

Just that this particular townhouse has all the features we are looking for like sunroom, private front/backyard with a decent land entitlement for that unit of 600k with just 5 units in total of 4500sqm land.
    What do you think is the main drawback of townhouses?

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.