can you relate to this?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by euro73, 28th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Hedgy, samiam, Guest and 4 others like this.
  2. TML

TML Well-Known Member

@Euro - where did you get this? very interesting stuff.......

I hear what this guy is saying....one of my colleague at work seems so confident at face value but when it comes to knowing her a little more it seems she lacks confidence and always keeps a distance with everyone and almost seems isolated at times. She is in her early 30s and not in a relationship or planning to have a family or kids. Sometimes i wonder if it is only her case or the entire gen-y population??!??!

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes, I have one of these in my life, sweet darling daughter number 1.

EN710 and Perthguy like this.
  4. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Can relate to it in general, especially the social media and technology part. Imo people in all generation are more distracted nowadays - younger generation are especially so because they grow up with the technology. Sometimes I kinda miss my old Nokia

Lack of confidence - I think this part of growing up. It is something built from experience, it just doesn't pop up on it's own. My self esteem were all time low during university and only get better after start working.

Isolated or choose to be alone? I think the social awkwardness are quite universal - there might be more of Gen Y with it but I can't see why older generation can't be lack confidence or keep distance. In fact the older I get the more distance I keep from most people o_O I'm Gen Y tho :p

What's planning family got to do with anything? o_O

Joynz likes this.
  5. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Can I just say this guy is a fantastic orator! What a delivery of the message. Flawless.
    He could have been describing the history of the lawnmower and I would have been captivated......

Perthguy, Barny and Tony Fleming like this.
  6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I like a lot of what he has to say, especially about mobile phones.

I think it applies to all generations, not just Milleniels, though.

At the swimming pool 'leisure centre' yesterday, I saw many kids sitting, post- swim, opposite fathers who didn't look up from their phones for long periods of time. How's that for 'quality time'..

7. Guest

Guest Guest

You posted this for the dopamine hits didn't you @euro73 :)

Some content I agreed and related with, other parts I didn't. As a millennial and with some millenial peers I would say 'being able to buy my own home' would be a more prominent goal of employment compared with 'making an impact'.

Toward the end he spoke about innovation/ideas coming when away from the screen, but I often find the opposite (e.g. I've just read something online and then think of something to expand on that). Trying to leave the mobile phone at home is just an attempt at delaying the inevitable integration of technology into everyday life... computer implants won't be too far away ;)

Perthguy likes this.
  8. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I thought the 'goals' questions were in the context of goals at work, rather than life since the presentation had a strong focus on Millennials and work (beanbags featured too!)

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
  9. euro73

I posted it to gauge peoples thoughts....:)

My own view is that I believe most of what he says is bang on for many millenials..... I know several of them who have 1000+ Facebook "friends" ... and they are all pretty unreliable people, the type who cancel (often) at the last minute, etc... just distracted at all times it would seem. Many stay single way into their 30's... relationships seem far more disposable, be that personal, professional, jobs, etc... anything really... just altogether more disposable.

That doesn't make them incompetent or incapable of accomplishment.... it just makes them unreliable and distracted. And I wonder whether the next generation of serious property investors being millenials, will mean that as an overall demographic, that generation will be less committed to , or less patient in their efforts, where property investment is concerned....?

Moreover, I just thought the video was timely because this time of year, 3 - 4 days into that week between Christmas and NYE, when half the country goes on holiday and many of us have more time on our hands than we are used to and are usually starting to get a little stir crazy by now... it might strike a chord...

Last edited: 29th Dec, 2016
  10. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I thought there was a tiny bit too much parent blaming.

I.e. That Millennial's don't have confidence because their parents told them that they are perfect in everything - but in the real work world, it's not like that and it's a shock for them.

I agree that endless admiration for a child's every achievement no matter how banal, is counter productive.

However, I don't think this describes most parents.

11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

....I call it self absorbed

Jess Peletier likes this.
  12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

How the next generation will go with investing is way to broad, it will always come down to the person, same as my generation, there will be those that will try and fail and those that will succeed.

Its about personal qualities - determination, focus, drive, persistence etc. etc. and of course then there is a splash of luck or bad luck that will also come into play ie health, divorce, consistent income.. etc.. as to whether you actually reach your end goal/s

MTR:)

13. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Aren't a lot of things disposable even back then, but just not obvious?

I have seen older generations that burn they 20+ friendships over trivial things, and have seen the same with younger people. I simply think that each generation are different rather than 'worse' than before. I'm guessing also that they learn from what they see on the older generation and sometimes take it to the other extreme, e.g. loyalty to a company doesnt always pay off, keeping disfunctional relationship doesn't lead to better life, working so hard and not enjoying life does not make you happy, etc.

I also think that most people are self absorbed, some develop skills to manage it and to connect with others

14. euro73

Yep..I agree, but I'm wondering whether that generation/demographic (broadly speaking) has those qualities in the same volume (broadly speaking) as previous generations/demographics....

Dont know the answer...just wondering others thoughts