Can you really help people who can not manage MONEY?

Discussion in 'Money Management & Banking' started by MTR, 14th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Cinch

Cinch Well-Known Member

Sounds a bit like someone I know. She cannot pass up a "good deal". She buys things like small kitchen appliances that she already has and then will keep both the old and new. Her place is stuffed full of things still new in boxes and food spilling out of pantry. Not quite like in an episode of hoarders, but getting there. Early on I went to a Costco with her. She filled up two massive carts and we had to nearly beg her to stop as it wouldn't all fit in the car.
    It is definitely some kind of mental addiction. I don't see what we can do to help as she gets upset if we bring it up or even gently question whether the purchases are a good idea.

Last edited: 3rd Apr, 2016
    legallyblonde and Adele like this.
  2. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Yep, can't help a gambler unless they seek help...

WattleIdo and MTR like this.
  3. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, (and I mean this in the nicest possible way), some experience is going to be gained in what happens when starry-eyed idealism meets cold hearted reality in a Large Hadron Collider kind of way...

And this is not meant to be flippant in any way, just an observation of the lack of assessment of risk..

MTR and Terry_w like this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

bump....

Definitely cant change people who can not manage money, because they are not interested in changing.... the latest is spending $5000 on equipment to go gold prospecting, I am still trying to work out how they got $5000, probably a personal loan??

5. Jkat

Jkat Well-Known Member

I think that people can absolutely change, but it is them wanting to change.

When hubby and I started dating he was in a heap of debt and spent money recklessly. We had some very frank conversations about money (which weren't very comfortable for him) but he wanted to change. It only worked because he wanted to make changes.

In the end, we both had to make changes (I had to become a bit more relaxed about money and he had to get a bit more serious). If we were coming from such different places and we both weren't willing to make changes it might not have worked.

Perthguy, WattleIdo, balwoges and 3 others like this.
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

That is the key, most people I have met who cannot manage money are not interest in changing. I congratulate you on doing this.

If you can not manage money life will be very challenging seen this many times ie depression, divorce etc.

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Just an update, the family members I referred to which inspired this thread ended up moving to south west of WA beach location

Cheaper housing, working part time and seem to be living a frugal, simple and good life. They seem to have turned their life around... happy ending for a change

8. Terrychris

Terrychris Well-Known Member

image.png I have been thinking about updating my toaster and hot water jug.

I have the cheap white ones from Kmart but for some reason i have this fixation on those Smeg yellow or green toasters and red jugs , the toasters are $199 each !!

I would love to buy them they would look great sitting on the kitchen benches with the color but im thinking do i really need it ??

My Mother would be rolling over in her grave if she knew I was going to "waste" money buying colorful toasters !!:rolleyes:

I remember once how she was excited she bought one at the salvos for 50cents and had it for 5 years !

I like color in my apartment, but im thinking i only want the green toaster and red jug so i can show off to visitors, what if they dont notice it ,?

I would be disapointed " Did u see my green toaster ?? :eek:" look how can u miss it ? Its over there !
    It cost me $199 ! And what about the yellow hotwater jug ? U missed that too ?

I think the longer i go on thinking about it the novelty might wear off and i just keep using my $8 boring white toaster from Kmart And my stainless steel hotwater jug.

I could probaly afford it, but I will feel guilty buying it .:(

Do I need it ? Could I put that money to my mortgage? Why cant i just do with a ordinary cheap toaster which usually lasts longer anyway ?
    Maybe stick with the kmart toaster and put my money into my IP :(

Attached Files:

Last edited: 14th Jan, 2017
    MTR likes this.
  9. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

Buy it for YOU Terrychris, not for others.... stuff what they think! You have to live with it!

wylie likes this.
  10. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

So this is posted in the thread "Can you really help people who cannot manage money because...". Hmm.

I like the glass water jugs. You can see when they turn on and off.

11. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

@Terrychris, I have the white k-mart kettle and it's great! :)

But then I don't feel the need to impress visitors by having a fancy kettle o_O

legallyblonde likes this.
  12. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Me either. Basic kettles even for airbnbs. But.... I get the toaster that can toast thick bread. I think that's important!

legallyblonde likes this.
  13. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I have a huge 4 slice toaster that takes wide slices. It is stainless and cost less than $100, the most I have ever paid for a small appliance. Believe me @Terrychris, as soon as it cools a bit I hide it away in the cupboard so it does not clutter up my bench space. I prefer the jealous looks from visitors when they admire how much bench space I have.

MTR, ellejay and Gockie like this.
  14. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I thought the visitor envy thing was having a 1. a genuine Nespresso thingy and 2. massive collection of 200 varieties of them capsule things in them dispenser things..... or is that old hat now...?

The Y-man

15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

don't forget the designer Nespresso coffee cups

16. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Of course....how could I forget! Pixie cups to match each of the 200 varieties you have....

The Y-man

MTR likes this.
  17. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

TC, if you're gunna impress your friends, there's no point fart - a**ing around with these toasters...

Go with something that has a bit of grunt like:-

Conveyor Toaster 600 Slice - Toasters - Catering Appliances

and then they can all have toast at the same time.

And hey, get one for your IP, you'll probably never have a vacant rental.

The Y-man likes this.
  18. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

We have those (in the cream colour). They are "okay" the toaster toasts and the kettle boils water, the little silicon grommets on the feet have a tendency to fall out and disappear which then leaves the appliance less stable (rocks diagonally slightly) which is annoying for something so expensive.

We didn't pay for them, they were a gift from my wifes mother. They look simply AMAZING, they really do but it really is a lot of money for something that does the same as the $20 version but then again, the same can be said about cars, TV's etc etc, you gotta live and if this makes you happy and will not overly impact the bottom line then it's worth it :).

19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I am liking the way this thread is going, , but still can not quite understand how we got to toasters, coffee machines, :p all good at my end, I might find out something very useful

Ted Varrick likes this.
  20. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Nespresso, the K-Mart of coffee.

MTR likes this.