Can you lease out a property with swimming pool?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by leaf, 13th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. leaf

leaf New Member

we want to buy this particular house as investment property, the only problem is it has a swimming pool. I have never seen any rental property with a swimming pool. Can you lease out a property with swimming pool?

2. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

You can. In North Queensland it would almost be expected. Question is do you need the hassle? Other threads on this I think.

leaf likes this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

As long as it meets council guidelines/safety etc.
    I don't like renting properties with pools, headache? may want to consider looking at someone to maintain on a monthly basis, may work cheaper from my experience

leaf likes this.
  4. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Fill it in! :)

kierank likes this.
  5. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

6. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Perhaps

7. Tanya1335

Tanya1335 Well-Known Member

There is certainly more to consider if managing a property with a pool, best to consider owner pays monthly pool maintenance and tenant pays for chemicals in the lease

leaf, Stoffo and MTR like this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Smart, been down this road, could cost owner if pool not maintained

leaf likes this.
  9. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

I would say try to avoid buying an IP with a pool if you can. Just another thing to worry about and maintain.

PS: My PPOR has a pool ...

leaf likes this.
  10. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

I can get a pool filled and compacted and turfed for under 2k. Having one makes no difference to the decision. A good well maintained one can be a good demand booster but a ratty one or one which leaves no backyard in a family home may be better filled in

leaf and Archaon like this.
  11. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

We lease quite a few properties with pools in them and they can be attractive for tenants. There is additional compliance that the owner needs to pay for and usually the tenant pays for chemicals and the owner pays for maintenance. It is an added cost but until last Tuesday, it was also added depreciation....was....

12. 8650

8650 Well-Known Member

There are pros and cons for a property with a pool. You will need to consider the maintenance of the pool as they can sometimes be a headache with items needing to be repaired or replaced and obviously making sure it complains to council and government regulations.

Depending on where you are purchasing the property as well will play a large factor. Is it in an area that has hot summers and will it be attractive to tenants or just another item to try and maintain.

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.