Can you guys please help rejig my floorplan

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Lacrim, 1st Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Hi Azazel, no secrecy, just my first time trying to upload a pic/plan and it included far too many details.....:oops:
    (sorry Ladies, stripper shots deleted, allegedly :confused:)

Lacrim, I am thinking outside the box again, so, am assuming this property is in a fairly built up area now, one that may have been re zoned for higher density ?

If so, why don't you leave the rear alone ! (saving money as most of it appears nice already) ;)

Looking at the two story red brick giant next door, you may be able to apply for an exemption to add 1.5-2 mt to the sunroom whilst retaining the façade and streetscape ? :D
    This gives you an additional room and makes use of the "non habitable" sun room, by making it the bedroom you require :rolleyes:
    (you could even move the French door wall back in a little "if" they wont let you build more than 1.5mt further out).

If you were to add a large skylight in the carport and a high window to the adjoining bedroom it would give you light and ventilation :cool:

This option is far cheaper than gutting the existing :)

Thoughts ?

2. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Sorry the plans are a little outdated but representative of the layout. eg the laundry is not where the plans say it is ie its blended in with the kitchen (Euro)

3. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Yes there is flexibility but probably down the track when the kids are older. We don't want them too far from us - they still share a bedroom :eek:

Put it this way,if we do shift the bedrooms upstairs I'm probably going to have to formally extend the top and add in a bathroom. Not fun bending your torso if you were living up in the attic as it is, even though its perfectly lievable.

4. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Its a paired semi Stoffo so a front extension is not going to work. The 'non habitable' sunroom is actually now habitable and part of the house. You can see it in one of the photos.

RE: the high window, could do that but it would give the neighbours a perfect vantage point to our master!

I get that most forumites, like me are putting financial astuteness first. Rest assured I won't be making any mods initially so will see how we go for at least 6 months to a year. I got the niggly feeling that we probably (eventually) will totally open the back out and replace the kitchen and rear bathroom though.

It will def improve the look of the house and let more light in etc but yeah, we're talking maybe $60-80K for a new kitchen, bathroom, removing walls, bifolds, decking,sliding doors in place of windows etc etc. I'll see how long I can defer it - we'll probably just get used to the quirks and perhaps not to anything.

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Sometimes it swings both ways once you move in - 3 things may happen
    1. you find out it's ok-ish but you can't be arsed spending money on it
    2. you over thought the issues and it was fine
    3. it sends you bat **** crazy and you spend $100k and you get the best PPOR with basement wine cellar too :)

I quite like the idea of one day turning the garage into a master ensuite.

With the attic above does it prevent you putting in any skylights to any areas to bring in more light as it is? I'm thinking the Tubular skylights (aka solatubes) Tubular Skylights

[​IMG]

6. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Somewhat restricted bc of the attic Westminster but thats not really an issue at the rear ie I can put in skylights/tubes there without encroaching on the attic. The attic stops just after bedroom 4 from recollection.

7. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Hehe, all good.
    I would delete any identifying information as well.

8. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

There is a better skylight solution.

We recently installed solar skylights. Solar panel on roof joined to the diffuser by a long cable. Means skylights can be installed anywhere that can be connected by the cable, e.g. Lower floor of a 2 storey house.
    Marg

Perthguy likes this.
  9. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I just imagined a tube going down through the middle of the upper level hallway ;)
    Sounds like a good idea, I guess you would connect it through a blank space, like the back of a cupboard?

10. Westminster

That's why I asked about the attic space - wasn't sure if it covered all of downstairs area as that would make it tricky to put in solar tubes without interfering.

11. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

The downstairs is bright (enough). I'd always opt for a north facing window if I had a choice though...nothing like direct sunlight/rays in the morning.

12. Westminster

The reason I mentioned the sky lights as it might give an option to then use the front sunroom as an ensuite if you can get light by some other means to the master bedroom.

Alternatively pull down the garage and put windows along that wall.

13. Westminster

If you pulled down the garage that your car doesn't even fit into you could make a nice french doors and adult courtyard out there.

14. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I see, well that's true,I could and its not a bad idea. I hadn't thought of that to be honest.

The garage (or half of it if I stick an ensuite in there) will be useful in terms of storing the lawnmower, brooms, spare tiles etc, otherwise I'd need to build a shed. Plus the garage adds perceived value if I reval/refi the house.

15. Westminster

You could create a carport in front of the garage location maybe? Then valuations are still ok.
    Go ask your wife - "Would you like a shed for the mower or this......"

[​IMG]

16. Westminster

Go get some fake lawn, ditch the mower and put all the spare tiles up in the attic :)

17. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Ok, so if the garage space comes into play then half would be an ensuite. Could you incorporate an external laundry in the other half?
    Roughly split the garage into 3. Back third becomes a storage shed. Middle third becomes the ensuite. Front third widened and incorporated into new garage or carport at the front. Of course adding at the front depends on setback rules.
    Marg

18. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Pretty risky if you get audited...

19. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Yeah, not a great idea.
    Some can be invoiced as repairs, but if it's just after you bought it, it can't be claimed as initial repairs.

Perthguy likes this.
  20. truong

truong Well-Known Member

Haven’t read all the posts so am not sure this has been suggested.

You’re saying the sunroom is habitable, so why not stick an ensuite between Bed 1 and 2 and use the rest of Bed 1 + Sunroom as your main bedroom? This would require a bit of reworking the walls but would make the front window work better for that room.