Can you guys please help rejig my floorplan

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Lacrim, 1st Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Love the collaboration! Geez, imagine how much more productive our workplaces could be (for those of us still in the rat race) if our colleagues worked together like PC forumites!

Brendon likes this.
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If you have enough bedrooms for your family now and they use the back yard now, why not wait until they are older and rejig to suit the changing needs as they actually change?

You might even move to a different PPOR before it becomes an issue.

PS. I would at some stage try to get the attic approved. That is a big plus.

Phase2 likes this.
  3. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Thanks Stoffo for the effort!
    yep I interpreted the floorplan correctly by and large. I shared the idea with the Mrs...unfortunately she didn't like it bc the master opens up into the dining, the back gets narrower, the master is at the back and the kids bedroom is at the front. So I'm forced to revert to the plan to get rid of the bathroom and laundry at the rear and place an ensuite in the master (or encroaching into the garage). Where the laundry goes I have NFI. Possibly a Euro laundry as part of the kitchen is the only viable place I can think of. Would love it to be elsewhere though.

Perthguy likes this.
  4. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Yes you guys are too generous with your time.

5. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Agreed Wylie. I won't be doing anything drastic for at least 6 months after we move in to see how we live in the house. Conversely though, the modifications are deductible if done before we move in whilst the current tenants are there so I need to have a rough idea to get the basics done.

Perthguy likes this.
  6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Won't any modifications simply be added to the cost base? And that would be the same whether tenants are there or not? You are not "repairing" something, which can be claimed as a repair, but adding or improving, so I would doubt doing any work whilst it is tenanted is going to benefit you (and happy to be wrong on this though).

I'd definitely live in it before making any changes, especially ripping out a functioning bathroom to gain more room at the back, when rejigging what is there could make it flow better. Sometimes you don't need "bigger" but you need "smarter use".

Phase2 likes this.
  7. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

For those of you with 10-18 yr old kids, what kind of config do you like best for a 3/4 bedder - do you prefer the master downstairs and kids bedrooms upstairs? Or do you prefer them all on one level, preferably downstairs so you can barge in any time and make sure they're not doing anything you wouldn't do.

8. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Hi Wylie, some of it will def be repairs, the rest may be lazily invoiced as repairs as well ;)

9. Brendon

Brendon Well-Known Member

Sorry @Lacrim you better tell the Mrs she has been outvoted by the forum, the fact that it's her house is totally irrelevant... Goodluck!! Hahahaha

10. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Do you mean "not doing anything you tried to get away with at that age?" :)

11. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

ha
    haha so true. But I'm the parent now and I want total control.

12. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

I don't like the idea of being exposed to, or exposing any one to "things" that could be deemed to be embarrassing :rolleyes:
    From, ooohhh & ahhh's :oops:
    Don't you tell me :confused:
    To "you f*@#en what ! :mad:
    Have always liked to keep "my" bedroom somewhat seperated from the step kids, due to all the ooohh's ;)& aaahhh's :cool:& mmm's :p & no way you're sticking that thing........:eek:

Phase2 likes this.
  13. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Ive got at least 4-5 yrs before it potentially gets that bad

Last edited: 3rd Aug, 2016
  14. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Well I've come in late to the game but I would take the walls back out of Bed 4 and put a bedroom in the attic if and when you need it. You'd then have a light filled massive area and the kitchen, bathroom and laundry can be tweaked as needed. You could U or L shape some of the kitchen into this new room if you wanted

If you wanted to you could split off some of the back living area into a study/bedroom but I wouldn't make it a master bedroom - only a smaller kids bedroom. I like the interaction between living areas and outdoors.

10-18yo turn into permanent fixtures of their bedrooms. The will love the attic - send them all up there to live now :)

Perthguy likes this.
  15. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Part of the problem that we've manufactured ourselves really is trying to keep all the bedrooms downstairs so we can all be on one level. It's becoming more apparent that this is a 2-3 stage thing where we need to evolve the house as kids grow up and its pointless to set the config in stone and plough money in unnecessarily for a one size fits all reno. For example, we might get to a stage where we WANT them upstairs rather than next to our bedroom - probably if/when they're older though.

16. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Westminster the aspect is such that due north is at the front of the property. Removing the wall of bed 4 to the rear opens it up but won't contribute that much from a light and bright perspective. Plus as mentioned b4, its def load bearing. It was the rear wall of the original house.

17. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

That's one neat floor plan.
    What's with the secrecy?

18. Westminster

Are you sure you want to live here :p
    You can probably make do with it as it is by just making the kitchen/laundry area more functional with clever storage and turning that one load bearing wall into an island so it interacts with the living/dining

19. Westminster

I should have looked at the photos - I thought the load bearing wall for the kitchen closed it off from the living area but it isn't.
    Honestly I think you just need to tweak what's there and make the island bench in the kitchen bigger, maybe change the pantry to put a laminate floor to ceiling with pull out blum units, put in better overhead cupboards

Perthguy likes this.
  20. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Is there more flexibility if you don't have to stick to this?
    I actually like the idea of rumpus and extra bedrooms on a different level.

Perthguy likes this.