Can you guys please help rejig my floorplan

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Lacrim, 1st Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

OK Brendon. That is left field haha. Yes I think it would be to skinny if we crammed a bedroom in there. Would really like to leave the bedrooms where they are if possible. Based upon that, it really limits the options in terms of either leaving the back as is by and large or repositioning the 2nd bathroom and laundry somewhere else. In a nutshell, that's what it comes down to I think.

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Isn't the easiest thing to add to the back?

3. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

You mean the bedroom? But aren't I just is just swapping bedroom 4("new bedroom") for a bedroom at the rear? Not sure if I'll actually gain any significant space doing that. Plus layout wise don't think it'll be ideal. Unless I've completely misunderstood.

4. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

@Brenden 's suggestion is similar to what I was going to suggest after you posted photos... I'll try and sketch it out and post back.

Edit: update like this... it's only conceptual, and it's a dine-in kitchen which doesn't work for everyone, but I've seen it done really nicely. It also gives you a walk-in robe and turns the bathroom/laundry into an ensuite.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 2nd Aug, 2016
    Brendon and Marg4000 like this.
  5. Brendon

Brendon Well-Known Member

It is a little bit left field but I think being open to moving the bedroom opens up a whole range of different ways to configure you kitchen/family/meals as well as the possibility of turning the bathroom into an ensuite, or just keeping it as a bathroom for now then changing it to a ensuite in 5-10years when you want to update anyway.

Have you thought of a European laundry under the stairs? Would be on the small side for a 4x2 house but once again would free up more floor space for living

6. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Thanks Phase2 (and Brendon). And you got those attic stairs spot on btw. I don't overly mind this and its not an overly expensive option to implement. I like the fact that we're not demolishing the perfectly good bathroom. HOWEVER, the cons are it's a tiny 4x3m living. The 3m width is very tight not to mention its a thoroughfare to get to the rear, plus all the kids bedrooms are at the front and we're at the back. If I had another 2m of width in the living I'd seriously consider this. I'm being an obstinate, ungrateful donkey now right? Please don't hold that against me - its my PPOR:(

7. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Yeah Brendon, I think the room under the stairs is too smallfor a laundry, plus its a b*tch getting plumbing there, waterproofing it etc. Not cheap. The hallway isn't overly wide as well ie only 1.1m max.

8. wylie

I meant the photo that shows the back yard with a small deck and two sets of french doors... can you not push that wall out? The yard gets smaller, but living space increases. You cannot play cricket in that yard, so smaller might not be a bad thing as a trade off for larger kitchen, living and dining?

9. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I see Wylie...yes I could do that - it obviously constitutes an extension. If I was going to extend it, it would be a no brainer to legalise the attic (and push out the roof towards the side and stick 2/3 bedrooms plus a bath up there). That way I maintain the size of the yard - which is valuable for us as kids are young.

Of all options put forward so far I'm still of the view that the most sensible is to ensuite the master and find somewhere for the laundry.

Perthguy likes this.
  10. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Would it be a value sapping idea to cannibalise the garage (or half of it) to accmodate the ensuite? Something like the attached photo? I mean the garage is barely wide enough - under 3m wide - to fit a car. If you got one in there you'd have to contort your body to get out if you know what I mean. Put it this way, we wouldn't get our 7 seater 4wd in there and if we did, we probably wouldn't be able to get it out:eek:

Attached Files:

11. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I reckon that could be a good plan as well.
    Some skylights are really good.

12. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

No worries. It's a struggle to get the balance right, especially in a place that you're going to live in for a while.

You could take out the Walk-in-Robe, and extend the living space, it will still only be 3m wide and a walkway to the backyard, but a wall mounted TV and shelf above head height (for set-top box/dvd player etc) could help solve the space issue.

You could also still use the front bed as a master while the kids are young, and use the "new" master bedroom as a playroom for the kids for now. Move into it when they're older? OR... just don't put the wall in yet? See if you need the extra bedroom when the time comes?

My personal experience is that what seems important right now with young ones, won't be so important in a few years time.

13. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

It's only 2200 wide and fully enclosed? I think you'd be climbing out the sunroof or the tailgate! I don't think you'd be destroying value, provided you still have off-street parking.

Actually, it looks like perfect dimensions for a master bathroom :) and that sunroom could house wardrobes either side of the window and drawers beneath it for a luxurious walk-in-robe?? Then you can do whatever you want with the back-end.

Last edited: 2nd Aug, 2016
  14. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Yeah I so agree with this, and you're right. That's why I'm still considering what you/Brendon suggested.

There's an open carspace in front of the 'garage' and where I live that's totally acceptable.
    Realistically we'd never drive into the driveway. Re: the garage itself, yes its < 2.5 m wide at the moment because the builder decided to build the outer brick skin inside the driveway:mad: when we were erecting the garage, rather than build it on the boundary.

So we have the brick skin on the outside, then a tiny gap, followed by a timber wooden fence. Have no idea why he did this but it was too late to undo, I was having issues with him etc.

Am approaching the neighbour now to correct this and have the wall on the boundary.
    I'll have to leave at least 1m clearance inside the garage so I can access the front and back via the garage.

15. wylie

Could you replace that garage wall and push it out to the boundary now?

16. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Hmmmm, OK :cool:
    Remove bed 4 walls, move existing lounge to bed 4, allows wall hung TV in hall (plenty of gadgets around to allow remote location of dvd/other devices)

This would allow a two sided open plan kitchen next, with two bench tops/breakfast bar (with cabinetry on external wall, allowing for walk thru to rear of house next to cabinetry) this also allows you to be the perfect entertainer at parties by being in the kitchen whilst being involved in conversations on either side/ or monitoring tv viewing whilst listening to another childs reading/ homework !

Move existing family room to current lounge area (to retain view thru to yard from hall/new lounge area)

Existing family room converted to main bedroom, with cavity slider into current laundry ( this would allow a washer and dryer to be stacked against the lounge wall with a skinny trough to the left, even if it eats into the kitchen wall a little)
    The idea of "everyone" having to go thru the master bedroom could be solved by putting a "laundry chute" in the end of the kitchen wall/or a laundry basket in main bathroom?

My 2 cents/thoughts.
    It is your house at the end of the day, and you need to do the sums of renovating V's moving for the same overall costs ;)
    (Keep in mind that "renovating" whilst living in the residence is worth many thousands of stress dollars :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: )
    Cheers ChrisChrisStofforson

17. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Yes but have to win over the neighbours- they could make it hard for me. Don't see why they would though as I'll be paying for it.

18. Brendon

Brendon Well-Known Member

This was my other thought, would allow for a good sized lounge room and the dining/family room would be the skinny section. Would just want to get the kitchen design (location of sink and hot plates) perfect.

Just throwing different ideas out there though, feel free to shoot them down, it is your house and you know what will work best for you!

19. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

OMG Stoffo - you're way too laterally minded than me. Are you proposing a variant of Brendon and Phase 2's idea ie config will be:

- Bedroom 4 =open plan TV room, with TV hung on the hallway wall
    - wall between bedroom 4 and kitchen removed (structural engineer will have to advise bc this is def load bearing)
    - kitchen to stay where it is but will be 2 separate 3m or so benches. I think you're suggesting they be set 'horizontally' runinng left to right rather than top to bottom as it is now ?
    - wall between kitchen and lounge to be removed (it already is but plans don't show it...photo does though
    - master bedroom will be the family room
    -im not sure where you're suggesting the laundry to be..sandwiched between the 2 kitchen benches?

20. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Removed identifying details pending checking.

Attached Files: