WA Can you cover a pool in an IP and just leave it at that.

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Whitecat, 16th Feb, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Have an IP with a pool. New purchase so not sure yet if it will be problematic.
    Might be fine. Pay a guy to maintain it. Hoping so.

But just wondering if it turns out to be a hassle, can I just drain the pool or even cover it and leave it at that. Does it really have to be filled in?
    The block is quite big so losing access to a pool doesnt change things much in terms of tenant amenity. I.e. its not like a covered pool removes too much backyard for the tenants. The pool is in good condition but nothing really fancy, just looks like a plastic pool to me.

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

In-ground or above-ground pool?

Whitecat likes this.
  3. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Well-Known Member

If it's got a compliant fence, perhaps drain it, exclude it for use in the lease, lock gate etc. Double check with your landlord insurer if that meets your obligations re: liability. A pool is usually an asset, I personally wouldn't go throwing it away re: value of your property?

Whitecat likes this.
  4. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

In ground with compliant fence

5. Tom Cooper

Tom Cooper Well-Known Member Business Member

Your pool is probably worth $40 to $60 pw week extra in rent, with the properties we manage the service fee is about $60 every 4 weeks and the tenants pay for the chemicals. By the time you figure in the maintenance of the actual pool equipment such as pumps, filters and pool cleaning equipment etc, you will be lucky to break even.

Emptying the pool may not be an option as fibre glass pools are not designed to be kept empty, as they are typically not rigid enough to hold back the soil to its sides without the balancing force of the water inside. Also, you are likely to end up with water getting in from above and the health issues of mosquitos and God knows what festering in the bottom. You also need to take into account the capital value of the pool, it is probably worth $20,000 to the total value of the home. Unless of course if it is a potential development site in which case it may be of negative value.

6. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

You definitely can’t just cover it and leave it .. rainwater will get through and turn the pool into a swamp in no time .. I am talking about days, not weeks. You will still need to maintain the fence as per regulation and there is always a risk of someone walking into it in the dark and splitting their head into pieces.

Just maintain it (around $50pw plus tenant pays for chemicals) and it will help attract high quality tenants. That’s almost a given in most cases..

Marg4000 and Whitecat like this.
  7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

If a kid falls in it (even empty) and hurts themselves.....you could be liable.

I have been in this situation before and after weighing up everything, it's far better to maintain it than to choose another (much riskier imo) option.

Usually I include pool care fee in the rental agreement.

Last edited: 16th Feb, 2022
  8. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

An empty pool will still need regular maintenance, draining rainwater etc. quickly becomes a mosquito breeding ground. Will be a nightmare in summer.

Michael Mitchell likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia