Can you be less "car-centric"?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by willister, 17th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

A car is pretty much essential where I live. There are buses that run from Yamba through Maclean and onto Grafton, but that's a 2 hour trip!
    I need a 4WD to be able to launch and retreive my boat. Pulling 2 tonne requires more than a pushbike!
    However, I do get around town on my trusty old treadly, with my surfboard in a rack on the side.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You're too tight @TAJ Just get yourself a mooring for that runabout.

3. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Thankfully I don't have to tow it far. Less than a kilometre.
    Mooring fees are prohibitive! Unless of course, you are going to spring for them!

4. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

if you live in europe or parts of asia like hk and singapore (japan you been),

these most of this countries are only "cities" that are well connected.

london is well connected, but if you to the north "pass midlands" you need a car,

same if you go south, try using the train or bus from pompey to southampton.

japan is one exception,

hk is well connected, but if you got new territory, you probably want a car too.

countries like australia have no chance, because public transport with exception of 2 or 3 countries, and these countries probably have ridiculous car taxes

all lose money, they only survive with government subsidy. so public transport essential in my humble opinion is a waste of money,

5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

$ or km?

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

They're disposable, he gets a couple of new ones every year. Cheaper than getting a service, new rego and tyres.

geoffw likes this.
  7. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

I like the general concept, but being in a regional area, until we have much, MUCH better public transport than what exists now... nope, not possible.

We’ll be a 2-car family forever, I suspect (well at least until age-related factors mean one or both of us can’t renew our licence!)

8. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

ks

ta
    rolf

9. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

nah

not with depreciation these days

usually keep for 4 to 5 years.

90 % intra urban and highway ks so not much stress on the cars.

My trusty 2005 Nav ute I have had from new..........though coz my kids take it to Fraser and Moreton a bit, its getting a bonus 1970s style 2 tone colour scheme.

Silver and rust

ta
    rolf

Scott No Mates likes this.
  10. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I’ve been without a car for the past few months. I’ve been interested in how easy it would be to get outside my suburb by public transport or bicycle.

What I have noticed, is how long it takes.

I went to IKEA Springvale the other day. It took an hour door to door (two buses one way and just one bus back on a different route) to travel 11 km. And I got stuck inside the center because there is no obvious pedestrian exit. I ended up using the vehicle exit in desperation!

The travel time was kind of OK as I’m on holiday just now - but quite a few passengers on the buses (Ventura) weren’t wearing masks. I mentioned it to the drivers - but they said they can’t ask people to put masks on (one guy was holding his mask!). Ironically each bus had a sign saying that passengers had to wear a mask!

I took the train into Melbourne the other day too - same story, with several passengers in each carriage not wearing masks. I kept moving carriages, only to find more mask-less people getting on board! Again - big posters at the train stations saying mask wearing is mandatory on the trains.

One man spent the whole 45 minute trip without a mask & talking loudly into his phone.

Last edited: 29th Dec, 2020
    craigc and The Y-man like this.
  11. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

If you live in Singapore or Hong Kong, the family car is really more a status symbol. You tell people you have a car, it means you can pay up to $2.50 per litre of petrol, $600+ per month for parking and 100% luxury tax. You don't want to drive it as most of the time you are doing 20km/h or thereabout...o_O

12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

13. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

For many it is and for many it isn't i would think.

I'm in the process of getting one now after months without and looking forward to it mostly just because of the inconvenience of not having a car and also the liberty that it provides. Uber and deliveries solve most of my transport problems but not always.

MTR likes this.
  14. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Given I drive a 2011 Toyota Aurion which I bought used......

15. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Wow that's nearly new! I drive a 2008 corolla with nay an issue

The problem is that developers (with government approval) continue to churn out subdivisions that require a car ... no buses, no corner stores, no bike lanes, miles from anywhere, no schools or commercial precients

Last edited: 30th Dec, 2020
  16. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Only because my previous car having a love affair and running off with the kangaroo.

Lizzie likes this.
  17. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I know of quite a few people in their late teens and early 20s on Sydney's north shore who have never bothered to get their drivers license.

Between good access to public transport / Uber / Taxi of mum & dad / friends, they've never seen the need.

spoon and Lizzie like this.
  18. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I think because you need so many hours of driving experience logged too, some younger people aren’t bothering to get a licence.

19. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

That is nasty!! Thanks for letting us know. Gonna give the PTV a miss for a while!

The Y-man

20. willister

willister Well-Known Member

I quite like how Japan is run transport and urban planning wise. I see most families have those small kei cars which they occasionally use for perhaps heavier shopping like say a Costco run or small furniture and weekend trips outside the urban areas. For all other like commute to work trips the excellent public transport system will service this need. FWIW it's also worth noting the way Japan has planned cities like Tokyo...I can't quite put it in words. They have a lot of mixed commercial/residential type areas. Vietnam and China also has this but they don't do it very well its often crowded and dirty.

Add to this renewable energy sources like hydrogen and EVs and I reckon it's just about perfect. Could I live like this in Melbourne? Sure....don't get me wrong I love the comfort that cars provide and all but sometimes I just feel very guilty using one that is just walkable distance. Unfortunately Australia is just and can never be planned like say a Tokyo but geographically and culturally impossible. We're just ingrained to live mainly in 15m wide blocks and large roads that seperate resi from commercial from industrial zones.

Singapore designed it this way (exuberant taxes) to dissuade people from buying a car. HK is due to the lack of car parks. In a way it's sort of sad how a small portion of people in the world are able to enjoy the comforts of a car regularly. When I was holidaying back in 2017 in Singapore and going back to the hotel with my wife and son on a awfully humid and rainy night I just realised how lucky we are here.

Lizzie likes this.