Can you be less "car-centric"?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by willister, 17th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. willister

willister Well-Known Member

Well it pretty much goes for sparely populated and or huge countries like the US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand that it is car-centric but can you or are you less car-centric? When I was holidaying in Japan sans kids in 2012 with my Japanese friend, I quite liked how their suburbs were setup - you'd have a family car but that seems to be used only for 50+ kms trips or occasionally on weekends.

I live about 650m from the station so I walk to the station to and back, getting off the tram to the workplace is negligible. It's sort of hard that apart from this I really cant be weaned off the car, especially with 3 raging sons below 7.

Before kids and living alone and wanting to save a penny, despite holding a drivers licence, I never owned a car till I was 23. I used to rent on the outskirts of a suburb to save on rent but take the backstreets to the station by push bike. Heck, I used to ride at least 10kms to work or even house parties (max was 35kms to a party once) single trip...was offered a lift home.

I noticed in Japan and places like Spain, Italy and the Netherlands (never been there but read) that these places are more densely pack but it pretty much promotes walking or bike riding. I loved the fact that for 2 months I was in Japan, I almost could get to most places by Public Transport, walking or bike riding.

spoon likes this.
  2. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

I can't do without a car as I drive 70, 90 and 100 k's in a day depending on which Site I am at. No real public options for me however we did realise that living in the middle of the GC, we walk everywhere with the exception of my work or our weekly shopping so we got rid of one of our cars and just own one now.

If I were to retire right now, I still don't think we would go "car-less" as we would just spend more time exploring which generally needs a car :).

3. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

everyone can "do better".

The average commute in Australia is 16km. 73% of the population commutes less than 20km. These distances are easily covered on an ebike, but for any type of bike my goal would be for a sub 1h door to desk commute.

beyond that, targeting sub 5km trips to be car free is certainly achievable. When I started using bike for short trips, including shopping and with kids, I actually found it more convenient - especially for trips with multiple stops, eg going to the high street shopping, stopping at multiple specialty shops.

cheers,
    Inertia.

4. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

We're pretty good here. We bought right in the city.

I don't use a car 5 days a week, our teenager is able to get everywhere she needs by bus.

My wife does use the car to get to and from work and we'll use it when going out on weekends.

We're not totally car free but are comfortably able to live with only one car and one tank of fuel per fortnight.

It's saved us megabucks.

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Someone expressed shock the other night at the Mitcham meetup that we only have 1 car (we "live out in the sticks" by Melb standards). I walked 30 min to bus stop, caught a bus to the dinner, and caught the bus back and walked the 30 min back ~ was a beautiful cool night just right for walking :)

For work, I catch a bus (5 min walk form home) and then a train ~ about 1 hour in total (the station is next to office). Car takes up to 40min in peak (or more) and another 15min walk from the untimed street parking to the office.

Cost wise, even assuming my car is a $0 residual value, it still cost say 30 cent/km rego, insurance, fuel etc. A 40km return trip to work is $12 at best. An all day PTV ticket is $9.00

The Y-man

Archaon and Biggbird like this.
  6. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

In the market looking for a new car after having to sell the previous one...

It was interesting being without a car for almost 2-3 months now. Doable but extremely inconvenient and frustrating at times.

I have a motorcycle with saddle bags so lots of shopping was done on that and also lots of walking to the closer markets , around 2 kms each way which i will still do even while having a car.

The worst part is dealing with kind of bulky but not really bulky items that you might need quickly. For example, my lawn mower caked it the other day and Bunnings is around 4km away.
    I could argue that i can Uber it or call a friend or get it delivered but it's just inconvenient i guess.

Joynz likes this.
  7. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Oh no! GM has axed the Holden brand.

Existing models must then increase in value.

Angel, Shogun and The Y-man like this.
  8. The Y-man

Agree - shopping is the real deal breaker here (Aust). In most of Asia, meals are bought for immediate consumption .... so no need for bringing bags of heavy shopping home..... and most don't have lawns to worry about because they live in apartments ;)

The Y-man

wylie and paulF like this.
  9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to less "car" in our next move - but the secret is that we'll live less than 10 mins walk from the small shopping centre (supermarket, butcher, hairdresser, doc, chemist, vet, newsagent, cafes, PO etc) so can motor along with my Nikes and "granny trolley" - around 15 mins from the ferry terminal that takes us into the centre of the CBD with it's tram/train lines ...

... currently live 30 minutes drive, at 80kph, from any shops - and no school bus, so that's 20 minutes each way twice a day (gets her P's in 3 weeks!) - no public transport at all - so no options but to drive everywhere. Even the letterbox is a km down the drive.

It comes down to more density, improved walking/riding paths and better public transport

10. Paul@PFI

[email protected] Tax Accounting + SMSF Business Plus Member

So Craptivas now have resale value datto ?

Ted Varrick and datto like this.
  11. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Or just the name plate if there is one.

Otherwise unless it is special........it's junk.

datto likes this.
  12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Mrs No Mates did the school drop off this morning, I went to site by bike to open up for the sparky. Her trip was about 7-10km longer than mine, I got the last set of traffic lights she had to wait another change of lights. I won :)

Next time round I'll be using a slightly different route which should be 5 minutes quicker (poor planning on my part).

Stoffo likes this.
  13. Maximus

Maximus Well-Known Member

Im in the process of selling my weekend car and i use a company truck for work.

Hoping to avoid buying a car by buying/living in a central location, anything within 2-3km i prefer to walk. The time saved driving is usually eaten up by trying to find parking near home/destination if its easily reached by foot.

An alternative i use is a motorised scooter, cheap to run and own plus no parking issues.
    Im still waiting for electric road going scooters to be a viable option and complimenting that with an electric car once they are the norm with easy charging station access.

Public transport gets you only so far as not everywhere is accessible without private transport, only used the bus twice in my life and both times it came over an hour late never used it since.

14. datto

datto Well-Known Member

lol. They're not Holden, they're Daewoo.

15. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Resale? What resale?

datto likes this.
  16. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Lizzie likes this.
  17. Scott No Mates

New tyres prised $150 from my wallet killing an entire moth colony :oops: I should get a couple of kms out of them (about 8 cents/km). The most expensive part is the b&e roll and coffee at the other end.

18. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member Premium Member

My workplace is about 2 kms from home in a straight line but 3.5 kms by road. I have been working there nearly 20 years, and occasionally I try to get to work without my car.

Believe me, walking up and down big hills in 40+ degrees Summer sunshine just doesn't cut it. Last time, I needed about an hour to recuperate before i could actually do any work. No, sorry, air conditioned car it is for me.

I noticed an older lady (about 75) at my local shopping centre over Christmas, on her electric bike. I so want one of them! It is 600 mts to my local Woollies.

Another time I asked my husband if i could get a tiny motorcycle to ride to work and to the shops. He bought me the Honda 400 Four Super Sports pictured in my avatar. It lasted less than a year before I drove it into a barbed wire fence and almost decapitated myself.

Attached Files:

Empire, spoon, datto and 2 others like this.
  19. The Y-man

Wow $150 for a set of 4? Cheaper than the Kmart Diamondbacks I have on my wheels at $69 each! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

The Y-man

ALT likes this.
  20. Scott No Mates

There were only two wheels on my bike last time I checked.

The Y-man likes this.