can you add to list of benefits of living in australia or usa please ?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by justine77, 15th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Also the constant calculation on prices in a shop. $38 base price, plus - what state am I in? California. Add 7.25%. Oh, I didn't realise there was a local sales tax as well... Why couldn't they just put the final price on the sales label?

Lizzie, Shazz@, wylie and 1 other person like this.
  2. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

I had to buy a car battery in Canada once and had to pay 3 different taxes.. gst, state tax and a battery tax.. the only price advertised is the pre-tax and got a shock when at the cash register

geoffw likes this.
  3. The Gambler

The Gambler Well-Known Member

I've been to the mainland USA about 7 or 8 times. Each time around 4-5 weeks. Started in 2004 and last visit was 2013. I've been to Hawaii and territories since then, but not the mainland. It was for a mix of work and pleasure and it was always in summer, so it was a fantastic time to be there, although I always wanted to experience the USA during the holiday season (Halloween through New Years).

Every single trip was amazing. Could I live there? Obviously not now, but 10 years ago I definitely could have seen myself living there if I had a certain level of wealth.

10 years ago I'd say the USA was the more vibrant, exciting place to live and Australia the comfortable, easy place to live. Now I'd say Oz all the way. The good points about the USA are far outweighed by the social ills now unfortunately.

4. random

random Well-Known Member

Of course it would be more vibrant and exiting apart from the fact there's 350mil people 100s of major cities of every description and walk of life over 50 states joins how many countries, movie stars rock stars biggest companies in the world send men to the moon , it's like comparing Dubbo to NY or London. l mean not only are we not even remotely on the same court and thk God , but we're one of the biggest nanny states in the world.
    l mean those guys carry guns , big guns , our army guys would probably be blessed to carry half the stuff every 2nd man on the street has in his shed over there. They can have tigers for pets , drive down the damn street with him in the back seat in some states, and any other exotic cat, they can have a Zebra in the backyard .
    We;re suppose to have a permit to keep a damn parrot, yaknow.
    l mean what Australia and Australians obsession is with the US or how they'd even remotely imagine we're even on the same planet, is always beyond me.

But l am really pleased to hear little ol oz is the more comfortable and easy place to live and all the way , that is very cool non the less.
    And just for the op , my ex is ltalian and moved to SanFran . She hates it and wants to leave the whole country. Hates the people their ways their lack of soul and everything happening over there. Although she does admit they do at least often have good hearts. Not to mention at 51 she has to work harder now just to survive and make ends meet than she has in 20yrs and she's on a ton of money too.. That is in Sanfran though, 2nd dearest US city apparently , hates Cali.
    She's moving to NZ next year and can't wait.

Last edited: 16th May, 2020
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Has anyone thought that you can live in one country you love and travel to the other???

Last edited: 17th May, 2020
  6. random

random Well-Known Member

Of course . but the trouble is everytime l go to ltaly l just cry and don't wanna come home. Now that is a country l'd be 200 times prouder of comparing us too , except of course we couldn't even anyway.
    Mind you , glad it's not this year , many hugs for my poor ltaly.

7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

For me, comparing Australia and the US is nothing to do with being any type of obsession. I compare where we live to every place we've visited. I'd never want to live anywhere else, and often our musings are more along the lines of "thank goodness we don't live here".

Many places are fabulous to visit, but live there... no thanks!

Bunbury and Lizzie like this.
  8. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I have never forgotten the 2 different welcomes we received when we landed in [1] Vienna, unfriendly people, grey city, dont ever want to go there again, except for the best schnitzel I have ever eaten and [2] Dublin, greeted with a cheery smile and a welcome which didn't end until we left.

I still had remnants of my family living in Donegal 2000 and my cousin was fascinated about our lifestyle here in Nelson Bay where we went to the shops in shorts, T shirts and sandals, he just could not envision our beach style living. I had also realised my mistake when travelling around Ireland that jeans and shirts were just not the thing in Ireland, dress was more formal, especially for women.

What I do remember when flying back into Sydney was the sight of the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the feeling 'I am back home' which overcame me ... I am Australian :D

9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

All my fathers family live in Italy, Lombardy region, they have been hard hit, no deaths in our family fortunately

I could not live here though, its too crazy, too many people. Sure, its eye candy, however many leave Uni and cant get jobs

Besides I would get fat. Amazing you never see any fat Italians though:)

Our lifestyle is superior in Australia

10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Nothing like home:)

11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

After two months overseas, we hopped on a flight from U.S. to U.K. ... the airline had chartered it from AirNZ ... omg ... the emotion when that accent came over the speakers ....

balwoges likes this.
  12. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

Guns Vs. No Guns

You choose which is better....

Propagate and wylie like this.
  13. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

There is a massive difference between visiting a country (or indeed a city) and living there.

For example, no way would I want to live in Sydney again, but I'm happy to visit there! I could happily live in London again, but will settle for another visit at some point. I'd love to live in a number of places in Europe and USA and experience the different lifestyle, through the different seasons, not just visit for a holiday in nice weather :)

cheers,
    Inertia.

MTR likes this.