Can we get more power to new build?

Discussion in 'Development' started by Dee 333, 5th Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Dee 333

Dee 333 New Member

Hi

I am new to posting so hope everyone can be patient with me while I ask this weird question - "can we get more electricity for a new build"

Background:
    We are planning to build in the coming months on acerage that is classed by council as rural residential.
    Our son is also building a smaller dwelling with a large shed on the land and overall our electricity needs appear to exceed what Energex are allowing for standard residential.

We approached Energex with little success in upgrading or having 2 supplies to the 2 properties.
    We are now speaking to Council to see if they would allow a strata sub-division which then results in 2 separate power supplies to 2 separate lots. Seems like extreme lengths to go to get more power / electricity, hence why I am posting here.

Energex allow 80amps and our calculations have come back at around 120amps. This may seem extreme but speaking to family they are of the mind that we require this amount to cater for things like sauna, car charging (upto 3 in future), pool heating, ceramic cook tops, 2-3 ovens, 2 air conditioning units along with the usual standard electrics in running 2 homes

I appreciate many of you may come back saying we do not need this amount but I have been assured by family this is needed. Keen to get some expert advice on amount needed and also whether its possible to get more power and how we go about doing this.

Sorry for the long conversation and keen to get peoples advice on this, much appreciated, ta

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Maybe look at:
    • gas cooking
    • gas pool heating
    • solar panels / battery storage
    • good old fashioned petrol/diesel cars :D (none of them new fangled electric things)

The Y-man

SmileSydney likes this.
  3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

We ran into a similar issue with our acreage property - we had success by having the power needs professionally assessed and submitting that to the power provider and they then approved the increase. It wasn't easy, it took a lot of time and arguing but in the end I think we reached a compromise but the street did need a power upgrade to accomodate it which was part of the issue.

We don't have gas so we did put in a solar hot water systems, solar panels on roof and batteries to reduce our power bills as we had plenty of roof space.

Our usage is quite seasonal - ie we don't heat the pool/spa or run as much air con in winter. We can also stagger the loads over the day depending on what their function is to help ensure we don't overload the system.

SmileSydney likes this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Have you considered 3Φ 40amps or more? Who worked out the demand - the electrician or a WFG based on the appliances selected?

Load balancing, nominal/maximum demand calculations will support the business case.

Westminster likes this.