Can we assume our contract is now dead - Queensland specific please?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by wylie, 12th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We have had an agent take a contract and leave it with a buyer last night. This buyer has been stuffing us about for over a week and we are sick of it. He refused to sign it last night and our agent asked that he give us a yes or no by 10am today.

This morning we decided to withdraw our offer and agent called and left a message and also emailed the buyer -

Please be advised the owners of (property address) have made the decision to withdraw their offer of $xx presented to you. Due to the property having a bank valuation of $xx, they feel they will be under selling their property."

Are we safe to assume this contract is now dead?

The contract is signed and initialled, but isn't dated, and I believe until it is dated, it is not a contract.

If the buyer dates it and sends it back to the agent, are we still safe that our email withdrawing the offer was sent to him before he got back to the agent with a yes or no?

(I have asked a lawyer, but have nothing in writing and want to be sure.)

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

You should withdraw in writing so that you have proof of communication.

3. wylie

The agent has withdrawn via email. Do you mean we should personally withdraw and email agent as well, so he can send it to buyer?

Wouldn't the agent's email be enough?

I've just emailed the agent, as a back up to the email he sent (above).

It will be after he emailed the buyer, but should I ask him to forward my email to the buyer as well as his own email (sent earlier)?

I want to make sure this buyer cannot try to say he signed it last night. He could say that, and I don't want to get into a "two contracts" situation.

4. Terry_w

Agent is your agent so that should be the same as you withdrawing

5. wylie

Thanks Terry. A lawyer I was able to speak with this morning initially made me think we might be on shaky ground. When we ran through the timeline, he made me think that as the agent has not been advised by phone or email that the buyer has agreed to sign at our counter-offer price, nor that he has signed and dated the contract, that we should be safe to assume the contract is now dead.

Would you think that is right?

6. Terry_w

Not yet. look up the 'postal evidence rule'

7. wylie

I'm thinking this buyer might sign and date it this morning and try to say it is a watertight contract. But he has neither returned it to the agent, emailed the agent or called the agent to advise he has signed.

So, I'm hoping our agent's email withdrawing our offer is enough to stand up if this joker tries to say he's signed it and wishes to proceed.

8. wylie

Just googled this. What do we need to be sure we won't enter into another contract and then have this person try to claim he has a watertight contract?

I'd like to physically get hold of the contract, but I'm not sure that can easily happen.

And if he ends up pushing then we would just run with it, but with two other people sniffing about, I want to be sure we are clear of this before signing any other contract.

9. Terry_w

Just put a time limit on the acceptance and specify how it is to be communicated.

10. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I know it is a bit late in this case but that is why I like to include a clause along the lines of:

This Contract is subject to and conditional upon all parties accepting and signing the Contract before 5pm on dd/mm/yyyy; if this Contract has not been accepted and signed by all parties (including initialling of all changes by all parties), then the Buyer's offer will be considered by all parties as withdrawn by the Buyer and this Contract will be null and void.
    Stops both parties from playing funny games.

PaulB likes this.
  11. wylie

Thanks @kierank
    This buyer set his own deadline, which has passed. However, he is a lawyer and his own deadline was for his second counter-offer, which we crossed out and countered with a slightly higher figure.

That countered offer was not signed last night, nor this morning.

Our agent has left a phone message and emailed him (both around 8.30am) and has heard nothing more.

Just waiting now to see what happens.

kierank and Perthguy like this.
  12. Terry_w

What about the communication of the acceptance. In Wylie's case they could have signed before 5pm but sat on the contract for 24 hrs before sending it back

13. wylie

Terry I wonder if I should pop to the post office and send a formal letter withdrawing (rescinding?) our offer (or contract)?

That would be time and date stamped and he certainly has not called or emailed the agent with his acceptance. He hadn't done that before 8.30am this morning when our agent advised him we don't wish to proceed.

14. Terry_w

Too late for that now I think.

15. wylie

Just heard from our sales agent that the buyer has just acknowledged by email that he understands we have withdrawn our interest in this contract/offer.

I think this means we can move forward happily.

KayTea, Gockie, Marg4000 and 3 others like this.
  16. Yson

Yson Well-Known Member

what is Postal evidence rule?

17. Terry_w

Here is a quote:
    To be effective, acceptance must be communicated - a mental decision to accept is not sufficient. The general rule is that an agreement is concluded when and where communication of acceptance is received - in relation to instantaneous modes of communication acceptance is deemed to be received when it is given to the offeror (even if they do not read it). Where post (or possibly other non-instantaneous methods of acceptance) is used a special rule applies (the postal rule!): provided post is contemplated by the parties (expressly or by implication) acceptance occurs when and where the letter is posted.
    Australian Contract Law | Julie Clarke

18. Bonz

Bonz Well-Known Member

Withdrawing an offer is all about communicating your intention to the other side. Read the notice provisions in your contract and follow those obligations to the letter.

If you withdraw and properly communicate the withdrawal in accordance with the contractual provisions to the other side prior to them communicating their acceptance, it's Job done.

19. wylie

I've just read the terms of the contract. They are in legal speak. I don't understand them at all. A lawyer did confirm early yesterday that we should be covered with the way our agent handled it. However, the purchaser was a lawyer too. So it could have got tricky.

I've been on the "you cannot lose" end of a legal situation and we lost $1m. I don't take chances.

Without the purchaser confirming via email that he understood we had withdrawn, I wouldn't have entered another contract. But I feel safe now.

kierank and Marg4000 like this.
  20. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Withdrawal via email from your agent to the buyer, as long as sent to the email address that they have previously communicated with the buyer on, is effective. Withdrawal via text message also effective in QLD - but print out text message.

The interpretation by the courts of the various Electronic Transactions Acts (as in each state has one) has been vary liberal.

Terry_w likes this.