Can this set me up for life?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Frosty, 13th Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Frosty

Frosty Member

Hi All.
    Long time follower, first post.

Looking to sell a property to developers. This would leave me in the position below.

PPOR $1.1 mil mortgage free.

Approx $350,000 in the bank.

I am 43 years old and would like to set myself up with this sale. Could hold on to property and achieve more but finances are very tough.

Currently earn $80,000 per year and wife earns $55,000. Wife would look to stop work after sale. Would like to retire on $150,000/yr in approx 15years. Looking for ideas on how to make this possible.

2. Sheldrick

Sheldrick Well-Known Member

How are finances tough? Your finances look very good to me. :)

3. Frosty

Frosty Member

Haven’t sold property yet. Currently have large mortgage and investment loan. Finances will be good when property sold but need to make the best decision for the future. Could wait a few years and potentially sell for more but would make those few years tough.

4. Sheldrick

Sheldrick Well-Known Member

Ah I misread your post. What's the value of your IP and how much are you owing approx?

5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Seems hard from where you are now. But I think if you started a successful business with the 350k you could.

6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Impossible to know because you don't say your net position after the sale of the development site.

7. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Do you really need this much?

if you invest with a 4% return you would need $3,750,000 in unencumbered assets other than your home to get a pretax income of $150,000 per year - based on todays values. That would mean saving $250,000 per year assuming no capital growth.

8. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

My thought is that he can decide to eat into his capital too - no need to still have the $3.75 mill remaining when they die. So he doesn't really need to have $3.75m unencumbered, they could retire on less and still be able to draw down $150kpa.

wylie and Terry_w like this.
  9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

But as his equity gets less and less, his CF will eventually (if he lives long enough) become peanuts.

10. Frosty

Frosty Member

Leo2413. Net position after sale is the position given in original post.

11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Excluding ppor, 350k?

12. Terry_w

This is a good point. It is difficult to plan ahead though unless you know when you will die. You would need to make an assumption such as 100 years old to get your money to last. After than age you could go on the pension.

Also it is possible to get a reverse mortgage at some point or to sell the main residence and downgrade to a cheaper one or rent at some point even.

13. Frosty

Frosty Member

Investment property is the one selling to developers. Loan is just under $600,000. Current offer is $2,000,000. Have recently purchased New PPOR for $900,000. Until then investment was PPOR.

14. Frosty

Frosty Member

Correct Leo.

Could hold investment and I think it could possibly increase another $500,000 in the next few years. Trying to weigh that up with current lifestyle as have 3 kids 16-8 and lifestyle is very restricted.

15. Foxy Moron

Foxy Moron Well-Known Member

Need to crunch the numbers on capital gains tax for the deal. If your wife was gonna cease work it may well be in your interest to date the contract in July rather than pre-June 30 if you do take the deal. Also you would get another 12 months to pay the tax. So seek professional advice before you sign any contracts would be my thinking.

Gockie likes this.
  16. Frosty

Frosty Member

Hi Terry

Thanks for the reply. I possibly don’t need that much income but would like to have freedom in retirement. Was just looking for opinions on weather the position was able to set us up. 2 mill is worst case scenario at the moment. Feel like I may be able to price up slightly after further negotiations.

17. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Well with a 350k net position... to get to 150k passive income.. will take a lot of work mate. Especially in a 15 year time frame. Essentially as others have said, you'll need to hit that critical equity mass of 3mil plus unencumbered not including ppor.

EN710 and qak like this.
  18. Terry_w

Probably nil CGT.

craigc likes this.
  19. Frosty

Frosty Member

Thanks Foxy that makes sense. Have crunched numbers for capital gain, commission and other expenses. First post assumes worst case plus allowing $50,000 for any expenses not accounted for.
    Am just curious to see what people suggest. Some very clever people on this site and I am sure there will be suggestions I have never thought of. My feeling is I need to hold out for a higher price.

wylie likes this.
  20. Frosty

Frosty Member

Will be a small amount of capital gains as have also ran a business from a portion of the property but that is a whole new post. Will seek further advice on best options for that when decision is made in what to sell for.

Terry_w likes this.