Can Strata Title be subdivided?

Discussion in 'Development' started by property world, 31st Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. property world

property world Well-Known Member

Was wondering if strata title could be subdivided.

R20/R40 zoning
    11 metre frontage
    City Joondalup

Was more a general question and made it a little more specific if people answer generally or a little more specifically

Ill tag some experienced types but would love advice from anyone with knowledge/experience willing to asisst @Westminster @MTR @Aaron Sice @Perthguy @Angad Singh

Cheers
    PW

Last edited: 31st Jan, 2019
  2. Angad Singh

Angad Singh Well-Known Member

Hey PW,

There are two types of Strata schemes. Built Strata and Survey Strata. Built Strata. They have slightly different rules, and it gets a little bit complex in some of the finer details.

Generally speaking- you can further subdivide survey strata title into two or more survey strata titles BUT you need consent from the strata body (body corp, owners corp, etc), and usually you need a unanimous resolution. Sometimes there is a bit of extra paperwork involved to re-allocate unit entitlements.
    You can not further subdivide a strata title into built strata titles (eg apartments).

There is a pretty good article here:
    https://www0.landgate.wa.gov.au/doc.../$file/1129-Guide-to-Strata-Titles-online.pdf

I read it a few years ago, so some of the stuff may have changed. Always best to get a surveying consultant as the area can be a little nuanced:)

Cheers,
    Angad

Aaron Sice and property world like this.
  3. property world

How would one know if built strata or survey strata? (I dont think i could even trust the REAgent with that)

it has this in documentation

But then in annexure B has strata/Survey Strata(Line crossed through survey strata) for plan XXXXX

Attached Files:

4. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

I believe survey strata is no problem to subdivide again.
    Built strata will need consent of every one on the title and a new Strata Plan will have to be created.

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Possibly, maybe but the real answer is “too hard basket”

Disregarding the pain in the butt side which @Angad Singh covered. How are the maths?? Is the block more than 400sqm?

Then you need to know that CoJ dual density requires 10m frontages. So it needs to be 20m frontage for side by side or the ability to have a 10m wide front to the driveway rear lot.

6. property world

600+

What about one behind another like Harness in kingsley with common small driveway

REA has contacted Landgate + COJ and said 'there is room to build behind' is that just clever jargon?

7. Angad Singh

Angad Singh Well-Known Member

I agree with this 100%:)

Every developer goes through a stage where we get very attached to a deal and do whatever it takes to make a bad deal work. We tell ourselves that we are 'being clever,' or 'thinking outside the box,' and that is a good thing because "no one else is doing it"...

Over time we learn to stick to the KISS principle and to place high-value simplicity and predictability, even at the expense of profit. I wonder if other developers can relate:D

Cheers,
    Angad

8. property world

Very much my mindset and im sure others

lixas4 likes this.
  9. Matthew Hughes

Matthew Hughes Well-Known Member Business Member

Looks like you may have already come to this conclusion, but unlikely you can subdivide based on 11m frontage, as @Westminster has pointed out for split density at CoJ to gain the higher density you need 10m frontage per dwelling + common property driveway to service rear dwellings. I'd say the REA feedback from Landgate and CoJ is only based on area m2 and comments made weren't site specific. Would definitely recommend you make your own council enquiries rather than put any weighting on REA comments, a quick 5 minute phonecall with the duty planner will generally point you in the right direction.