Can or Will you retire on property alone?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by MTR, 29th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jingo

Jingo Well-Known Member

Not stupid at all, Lacrim. Shows you are a very thoughtful parent. Last couple of years has been tough for property investors with apra changes, proposed Labor policies etc. Having a sizeable portfolio I can relate to your reference to ‘the cliff.’ Fortunately, I managed to refinance our interest only loans for another five years. Took a lot of work but have achieved a positive outcome.

Back to the topic of the thread, our retirement income will consist of rent from property and dividends from our share portfolios held in our family trust, personal names and smsf.

Last edited: 12th Oct, 2019
    Anne11, ellejay, orangestreet and 3 others like this.
  2. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Well done, I'd take that. Does the refi only buy you time or has it solved the problem beyond 5 years?

3. Jingo

Jingo Well-Known Member

I think rents and dividends will increase so should be fine in 5 years. Otherwise we will look at our options at the time. Hope to be retired before then.

Lacrim likes this.
  4. Harris

Harris Well-Known Member

I don't think I have read a better thread than this one on this forum or for that matter, any other investment forum.

Whilst I like to think of myself as a 'seasoned & very well informed' investor (being in the game for 18 years with some great outcomes), reading through this thread over many hours made me evaluate my own investment journey in a more balanced & critical manner and there is no doubt that I still have blinkers on and there is a lot to learn. Definitely challenged my own thinking around some of my current projects...

Thanks everyone who contributed so openly in this thread on their own journeys and articulated their results along with the very robust discussions that followed, making this read so fascinating. This thread should be pinned and made essential reading for all the newbies wanting to start on their own investment journey.

Great work!

Jingo, Anne11, Jaik2012 and 3 others like this.