VIC Can I request an inspection and photos of reported damage?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by taniaw, 17th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. taniaw

taniaw New Member

Hi all,
    This is our first investment property and my first post here :)

We were contacted by our Body Corporate a few days after New Year asking us to call them urgently about a window repair to our upstairs flat.
    We found this odd as we have a property manager and when we called back, Body Corporate indicated that they had been in contact with the Property Manager and they were sorting it out.

A few days later we get an email from the Property Manager saying she had been trying to get in touch (no phone messages, missed calls etc) and that the window had been made safe but would need to be repaired.

She is unable to provide me with information as to which window in the flat is damaged and what the nature of the damage is. The report from Body Coporate was that the frame was missing (?) and that the glass was just "hanging there".

Am I justified in requesting the Property Manager conduct an inspection and provide me with more informaiton, including photos of the damage before I decide how to proceed with repairs? (I'm thinking we might be better off just getting a new window).

Thanks for any assistance or advice you can provide.
    Tania

2. The Gambler

The Gambler Well-Known Member

I would have imagined a broken window would constitute an automatic repair without asking you if it's okay or not. Huh.
    The Property Manager should really be on top of this.
    I guess all you can do is ask how it got broken and then get the PM to claim it on insurance or get the tenant to pay if they broke it. Otherwise you are probably up for the cost.

Shazi and Pumpkin like this.
  3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

If it is an external window, it may be the responsibility if the body corporate to repair.
    Marg

Debbie_, Ted Varrick and The Gambler like this.
  4. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Cant help myself... each time I see this type of question. I wonder whether you have used the Onsite Manager? How can a PM not know what is going on with the property? The info, or the lack thereof, is appalling to say the least... How would the Body Corp contact you before the PM did??

As to your question to whether to "request" for inspection, photo etc, my immediate thought is to call them, and find out what they know, and what they dont know..... They are supposed to be the Professional, and if you have to "request", I think it becomes rather sad....

Ted Varrick and The Gambler like this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly - If the damage is sue to the tenant, then the PM should be pushing the cost their way after the OC has fixed it.

6. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

If the damage was reported by another owner that lives there , then there first point of contact would be strata managers.
    If there was lots of broken glass left lying around the first priority would be to get it cleaned up.

Shazi likes this.
  7. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Unless the PM is the onsite manager, the body corporate has no way of knowing who manages the property.

1. Problem reported to body corporate?
    2. They, correctly, notify the owner.

You can’t blame the PM. How can they be expected to know of a problem until notified?

3. Owner notifies the PM.
    Marg

8. Pumpkin

Sorry I beg to differ.. if there is an Onsite Manager, they would have reported to the OSM first, personal experience....

We are OSMs ourselves and we received all sorts of reports and complaints, from Units managed by us and also not managed by us....:rolleyes:

Our Body Corp has an option whereby Owners can advise the BC of their PMs and also Tenants, mainly for emergency matters. Not sure how many has done it 'tho.:p

We manage several properties offsite and all the Strata Managers have our contacts, and have contacted us for issues, and sometimes even to help the BC in matters relating to common area (Those complexes have no OSM).

Islay and The Gambler like this.
  9. taniaw

taniaw New Member

Thanks for all your replies.
    I think it was the situation where another resident noticed the damage and reported it to body corporate who reported it to us and the PM. (Unsure if the tennant was occupying the property at the time or away over the Christmas break).

I have contacted the PM and asked her to conduct an inspection and provide information on which window is damaged and photos of the damage so we can arrange the correct repairs/replacement.

balwoges and Tom Rivera like this.
  10. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Victoria doesn't do onsite managers (you'll get blank stares if you talk about them here). The only exceptions would be concierge/receptionist in high rise developments, and they may be business hours only.

The Y-man

JacM, Tom Rivera and Joynz like this.
  11. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Given that the window/frame was broken over two weeks ago I would have thought it should have been repaired by now .
    Did you manage to find out from the tenants if they damaged the window or if it was stuck from the outside.

12. Pumpkin

I've always wondered about this, being a Queenslander....
    Was told the Management Rights industry is more advanced in Qld due to Gold Coast. But NSW seems to have taken over. There's a lot of challenges with gated community, complexes without OSM....

13. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Unless its a larger apartment building ,wouldn't having an onsite manager work out quite expensive.
    How much rent would you forego ??

14. Pumpkin

There are different opinions relating to the pros and cons of an OSM. In simple terms, I guess the difference is between saving money, or saving the property, including the common area.... This will be a separate topic for another day.