Can I remove this pipe fom the toilet?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Momentum, 16th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

My toilet pan has cracked at the base so I want to replace it with a modern design.
    There's a copper pipe protruding from the left side which goes through the wall into the bathroom then it goes up vertically through a wall cavity. Is it a vent pipe and can I just cut it off at the wall?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

What an ugly looking thing.

I have never ever seen a pan like this one. How old do you think it is? judging by the tiles seems to be 70's but the bathroom may have been updated at some point.

If the pipe is not connected to any other plumbing then I would agree that it is serving as a vent pipe.

The problem with removing it is you will no longer have a vent pipe which you need. to ensure the proper operation of the flushing process.

If you remove it then you will need to supply another point for a vent pipe to be connected to you system.

Player likes this.
  3. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

it's a vent pipe we had the same what we did was cut the pipe and then put duct tape over it to see how it would be for a week etc if the toilet and other close by fixtures would work properly, it did so we got rid of it. check outside see how many vent pipes come off your property it only need 1 vent.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You're going to require a plumber to install the new wc pan. Why not ask them?

Is this the last fitting on the line? How long is the branch? Is there anywhere else that the vent can be installed to be compliant?

sanj and Tufan Chakir like this.
  5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Get a plumber's advice, to be sure.

6. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Ding! Without a vent stack, sewer wont work

7. bashworth

bashworth Well-Known Member

The vent pipe doesn't so much affect the sewer but it is there to stop the water being siphoned out of the toilet. . . If that happens you will get smells coming out of the toilet

8. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

You can invalidate your insurance if you do plumbing or electrics without a licensed tradesperson. Get a plumber on the job.

Tufan Chakir and wylie like this.
  9. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Best way would be just employ a lic plumber ,and depending where that vent goes in that wall and outside that may be a problem area to patch up..imho..

10. P j T

P j T Well-Known Member

Had the same thing in our old fibro place. Our sewer already had a second vent on the blind side of the house. These are usually left from the old style overhead cisterns. I took mine out with the advice of our neighbor plumber. has been no problems You can actually obtain a rubber cap from good plumbing suppliers.

11. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

It is a vent pipe that's all. A stupid one at that.
    Take it out. But that toilet pan is a mess too, so I suggest replacing the toilet. May as well do the tiles while you are at it!

Another breather/vent pipe can be installed elsewhere most likely. Without seeing photos of the house can't advise where to install one.

12. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

Looks like the copper pipe would be water supply to the cistern (that's which there's a stop tap there).
    The PVC pipe looks like a waste pipe feeding into the sewer (toilet pan) from something on the other side of the wall or above.
    Best advice - get a plumber in