VIC Can i put my home up for rent?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by 33904, 30th Aug, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. 33904

33904 Member

HI guys,

i recently bought (in may) a brand new property in heidelberg. I am a first home buyer, so i got the stamp duty excemption but did not get the FHOG. the home is my PPR

can i put my home on for rent?

ive heard i need to wait 6 or 12 months after settlement can someone please let me know the details and leave a resource thanks in advance!

2. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

Confirm with your accountant to be safe.

3. VICPER

VICPER Well-Known Member

First home buyer duty exemption, concession or reduction | State Revenue Office

Living in your home
    You must live in your property as your principal place of residence for a continuous period of 12 months, commencing within 12 months of settlement, to maintain your eligibility for the duty exemption or concession. In limited circumstances, we may vary this requirement. Different rules may apply if you are buying vacant land and building your home.

If you buy the property with someone else, at least one of you must satisfy this residency requirement.

If a change in your circumstances means the residence requirement may not be satisfied, you must notify us in writing within 30 days of becoming aware of those circumstances.

Michael Mitchell likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia