Can I prevent a buyer from my property?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Beachy, 25th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Beachy

Beachy Active Member

If I don't like someone and they wish to buy my property and I don't want to sell it to them, can I legally do this? I mean, it's my property and if I don't like that person, surely I have the right to exclude that person/buyer from buying my property, through an agent?

2. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Are you serious? Don't accept the contract. Lol

EDIT: alright maybe you mean exclude them from inspections? I guess that's fine too. It's your house...

3. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

We bought two units from a deceased estate . Apparently there was a clause in the will forbidding the units to be sold to a particular person .....

Cliff

Beachy likes this.
  4. MattADL

MattADL Active Member

The agent presents you an offer but covers the name of the buyer. It will cost you $10,000 to look at the name.

Do you look at the name and accept -$10,000 less or sign the contract?

5. Beachy

Beachy Active Member

2 Offers on the table. Both the same price, terms and conditions. Offer A is person I don't like, offer B is someone I don't know. Both offers are well below asking price.

6. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

If you are happy with the 'low offers', do a eeny meeny miny moe.
    Seriously! how does it matter who buys your property. Sell it at what price you want and get it over with.

7. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

I don't understand why, in my short time on here one thing i have been left with the general impression of is approach my wealth creation strategy without emotion*, it's purely financial. If the person you don't like is the highest offer why not take it? Take comfort in the fact that you got more out of them than anyone else was willing to pay I guess.

*This is a combination of things ranging from using the clock to make a smart decision rather than making an emotional decision of "I like this area and want to retire here" through to the idea of buying more properties of lesser value than 1 property of higher value in a "better" suburb and many things in between.

Edit: In the scenario you provided where both offers are the same, maybe go back to the one you don't like and tell them you have a higher offer, if they offer more all well and good, if they don't sell to the person you don't know.

8. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    You change agents :)

You could just refuse their offer. You have no obligation to accept if you don't want to sell to that person

Beachy likes this.
  9. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

I use a coin.

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Sell to the person you don't like and leave some prawn heads hidden somewhere? :p:D

11. moyjos

moyjos Well-Known Member

My ex FIL was like this,
    wouldn't sell to a particular ethnic group ( or 2 o_O )
    Wouldn't sell to an investor,
    wouldnt sell to a single mother....

The list of refused contracts kept going and going.
    He did eventually sell, to a young family that he "approved of" they lived in it for a while than sold it to one of the "particular ethnic groups" he was FURIOUS!!! we did not hear the end of it for years.

12. JMica

JMica Well-Known Member

I'm curious now, in what kind of circumstances would someone not want a particular person to buy your property?

The only thing I can think of is if your house is currently next to someone you know and they don't want bad neighbours...

13. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

As long as they drop 10k of the commission based sales rates,then I don't see a problem..

14. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

So long as the reason does not contradict Australian Law (ie discrimination against gender, sexual preference etc), and/or you have not disclosured your bias you should be fine.

At the end of the day, your property your decision.

Last edited: 25th Jun, 2015
    Beachy likes this.
  15. Beachy

Beachy Active Member

Previous and current "dealings" with said person I don't like - definitely not based on race, or usual discriminatory concerns

16. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

we have an ip and have the best neighbours! id be very particular who we sold to, if we ever did. we are also selective with tenants, but it is a family area so haven't broken any hearts yet

17. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

You select the other person as the winner... It is your place you can choose who you sell it to or even if you want to give it away for free to someone!

18. 380

380 Well-Known Member

@Beachy,

interesting one!

you may refuse to sell them.

Not sure how agent will prevent them inspecting at.. code of conduct.. discrimination Act.. comes to mind.

Unless he screens every prospective buyers and arranges a private inspections.

19. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I LOVE anybody with a cheque book....especially if the cheque is in the hands of the agent as he is talking to me.

Having sold 10 joints in my life so far....get over it and sell to whoever will buy it for the price you want.

20. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

This is one of the reasons why people list their properties "silently" - being able to decide who is aware that the property is for sale and is allowed an inspection.