Can I organise for gas connection before settlement?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Chaumander, 24th Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Chaumander

Chaumander Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

Couldn't find any answers for this so hoping someone can help. I recently purchased a place and want to get gas connected to it (I've checked that it's available, just has never been connected before).

I know the process from application to connection can take several months and so I want to get started so that it can be connected soon after we move in.

But I'm not sure if I'm actually allowed to even put in an application if the property isn't technically mine yet? Any advice?

Jemena will call me to arrange a time, so it's not as if the owners will be there and some random people will come in and install a meter...

Appreciate your help!

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I assume gas is already to premsies ? If so connecting a new gas account takes under 24hrs. AGL claim to pay you $150 a day if its not on for the day your move in if you contact them the day before If there is no supply thats a whole different issue. Is it in the street ? If so, you likely need to be patient and deal with this when in. Connecting gas wont help if you dont have the house plumbed and appliances plumbed and installed anyway.

Jemena wont connect a meter if the house isnt plumbed ! If the house has been on bottled gas the house will also need replumbing to the meter.

3. Chaumander

Chaumander Well-Known Member

Unfortunately no supply is the issue. But it is available on the street.

I had assumed the logical thing would be to get gas supply before getting plumbing and appliances. Is Jemena the easiest way or is it best to go straight to a gas retailer like AGL?

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

There are three types of gas installations that you can apply for:
    • A mains construction where there is no existing gas mains available in the street
    • A service line installation where there is no existing gas line connected to the proposed meter location. The service line must be in place prior to a gas meter being installed.
    • A meter only installation where there is an existing service line installed and only the physical meter is required.
    A meter will only be installed where the premises are plumbed for gas appliance supply.

The retailer (AGL) pushes the connection order to the distributor (Jemena). Its like NBN and ISPs as a comparision.

Stoffo likes this.
  5. Jas56

Jas56 Well-Known Member

I am in the similar situation as @Chaumander .
    WE are going for the renovations before moving it. but don't know the process.

6. Jas56

Jas56 Well-Known Member

How do we know which connection we need to apply for?? Is it quicker to apply straight through Jemena or it is better to go through the gas company like AGL?

Do we need to organise a plumber to install meter first??
    Also, would there be any benefit of picking one over the other??
    Thanks in advance!!!

7. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

You would likely have to go thru AGL.

But "why" in this day and age would you want to connect gas ?
    All the additional service charges.......
    If it becomes an IP then there's annual compliance checks.

8. Jas56

Jas56 Well-Known Member

Thanks @Stoffo. I like to have gas cooktop for cooking! I am contemplating between Gas heater or the air-conditioning .

9. Tools

Tools Well-Known Member

You can't go direct to the network operator and need to apply through a retailer (origin etc). They will arrange for the network operator to provide a quote for the service. Most times this is at no charge as they know they will be selling you gas. You will need paperwork from your plumber before you can put the application in (appliances and their consumption, CoC number etc). The process could take anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 months.

Tools

Jas56 likes this.
  10. Jas56

Jas56 Well-Known Member

Thanks @Tools. I didn't realise it may take upto 6 months. I better start organising the paperwork then!
    I am with AGL at the moment. Anyone knows any better gas providers??
    Would be looking for solar panels bit later after settling in the house.

11. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

I could understand going for gas heating if you lived in a colder climate (sorry Tasmania) for heating, but it is an expensive option for just cooking.....
    Also it isn't healthy https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIAxAC&usg=AOvVaw1s6XB8NcTio1BRnHfIjCvA
    Our induction cooktop is great, will never go back ;)

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia