VIC Can I inspect a property I've just bought after giving 24 hours notice?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by # 1, 1st Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. # 1

# 1 Well-Known Member

No, they can't just walk out because there's a lease in place. It's actually rented about $50pw under market so if I was feeling benevolent I'd let them walk so I can get higher rent with a new tenant

2. adprom

adprom Well-Known Member

They have likely just had a whole heap of prospective buyers through and home opens. While they may agree to let you through they are also paying to allow the quiet enjoyment of the property.

The "well I'm providing a roof over their head" isn't really relevant - it isn't charitable.. they are paying for a service.

They may provide access but they probably would be entitled not to beyond the normal scheduled inspections (and possibly not at all right now). Given the COVID restrictions right now and the fact an inspection would not pass as a reason to have agent and owner in the house, it shouldn't really be happening at all right now under the current DHHS directives.

3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I think a bit of common sense should be applied here.

Regular inspections are generally just to check that everything is okay with the property and to identify any issues the tenant has (eg broken or non-functional items) or to identify any issues the tenant has caused.

I don't think there is any reason to continue doing regular inspections at the frequency they are usually done. The PMs should be communicating with the tenants and have the tenant let them know of any issues directly (ie don't wait until inspection).

At the same time, if there are concerns about the property, or the tenant's safety, or any other more urgent issue - then the PM should arrange to inspect in a safe manner.

So "regular" inspections should be suspended, "urgent" inspections should be continued as required.

I think agents should try asking their tenants to do virtual inspections - use Facetime or even better, Google Duo (which is available on both Android and iOS), the tenant can walk through the house, showing the agent any issues and the agent can ask to be shown specific items that they know can become problematic. It's not ideal, but it's a good compromise and easy for most people to do.

craigc, Michael Mitchell and adprom like this.
  4. # 1

# 1 Well-Known Member

I only want to inspect because I've never seen the property before. I made an unconditional cash offer site/sight unseen while I was overseas and it was accepted before the first open because I wanted it off the market to reduce competition. Even the agent hasn't been inside before because they had trouble contacting the tenant

5. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I think that's fair enough - and I think arranging to inspect while the tenant is not there is reasonable, which it seems you have done?

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  6. # 1

# 1 Well-Known Member

Yes I'll be inspecting on Wednesday. Just him and I will be entering the property with the agent's keys. I got the impression the tenant won't be home when we visit.

7. Carreyn1

Carreyn1 New Member

And you’re not providing them with a roof over their heads... they’re paying for it