Can I have combustable panels (polycarbonate/clear) on my garage which sits on boundary

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by edtn, 15th Dec, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. edtn

edtn Active Member

Hi all,

can i please seek your advice on the following query i have.
    -I currently have a garage with a flat tin roof which I am looking to change to a gable style roof.
    - I am also looking to subdivide my property and in doing so, the garage wall (brick) will probably be the proposed boundary.

Looking at the ABCB "Part 3.7.2 Fire Separation of External Walls" can I please seek clarification on the following questions: https://ncc.abcb.gov.au/ncc-online/...neLink={A54ED9CB-C72D-4C50-867F-BD4E04FB48B8}

1) Am I permitted to have a polycarbonate/clear panel (which is combustable) on the gable side of the garage (see green line in diagram). The gable sides run at 90 degrees to the boundary wall.

upload_2019-12-15_14-57-4.png
    2) The roof (orange) will be of non-combustable material – if I am interpreting section "3.7.2.8 Roof Lights" correctly, am i permitted to have 20% of the roof as clear panels (same, similar material as the gable)?

The following diagram is a generic front view of a garage:
    upload_2019-12-15_14-58-32.png

Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Check the requirements for fire source features. No point having a requirement for non-combustible walls if you can have a combustible material abutting. The principle is to prevent the spread of flame and a setback is required.

3. keenas

keenas Well-Known Member

It will likely need 900mm fire separation so may be determined by what is within 900mm of it

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

That includes the roof too.

Archaon likes this.
  5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I would say no. You would need to have the gable ends non combustable at the boundary ends then you can have the polycarbonate sheets in between outside of the area that needs to be non combustable

6. edtn

edtn Active Member

Thanks everyone for your reply, there is section 3.7.2.1 (figure 3.7.2.1) which states "No protection required for the wall at right angles or more to the boundary." I think its still a little vague but seems a material other than non-combustable is possible..

cheers