Can I get council land next block to be rezoned

Discussion in 'Development' started by 3am, 3rd Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. 3am

3am Active Member

The block next to me is a double (back to back) block belonging to the council about 900 sq m. This double block is a playground and hardly used. A small block just opposite this site had recently been rezoned to residential for reason its cost too much to maintain. This rezoned block is only slightly over 200 sq m so its not sold yet.

I am hoping it will rezone to residential so I can use this as a great potential for developer when I sell my house.

Does anyone know is this can be done and how it can be done. I am in the Canterbury council (Sydney).

2. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

If it is a Council owned asset used by the public then it will be operational land. Would require a resolution from Council to change this. Then the rezoning.

Given the bad publicity involved in selling off a playground I would say no. Tends to only happen for major projects where the developer agrees to provide a much better facility and even then it is rare. If it was non operational land then slightly different story.

Sorry.

Tracey Seghabi and Esh like this.
  3. 3am

3am Active Member

Thanks very much.
    I was doing my head in thinking i would kick myself for selling up n not waiting for the rezoning. I can go ahead n sell n not look back. Glad i asked.

4. 380

380 Well-Known Member

@3am

Uphill Battle..... But no harm in trying.

Just speak to council asset manager and take it from there on.

5. 3am

3am Active Member

Do you know anyone who has done similar?

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Sorry to contradict @AndrewTDP. Council can lease, sell, develop etc operational land. It cannot do such with community land. Community land relates to all land which is used for recreational purposes and the like. Council can rezone land (with a rezoning proposal) however requires ministerial consent.

Council must elect to classify land as operational - if it doesn't do so within a legislated timeframe the default classification is community land.

Blacktown council had previously engaged consultants for the rezoning and reclassification of its small parks & reserves (<500m2). The motion was eventually overturned by another motion however there was very little opposition from the public to the majority of the sites.

Last edited: 5th Sep, 2015
    S.T likes this.
  7. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

Sorry. Late night tweet and got the 2 mixed up. Long day is my excuse.

You're bang on the money.

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

9. 3am

3am Active Member

@ Scott No Mates
    Would you advise I find out if the block next door is operational land or community land and then how would I approach council to rezone it?