Can I extend without re-slabbing this?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Lacrim, 2nd Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

P1010215.JPG Have an IP that I'm flirting/considering extending for more living space.

There's a massive, covered concrete patio at the rear (which is overkill for entertaining). If I want to claim some of this space for an additional living area, will I need to reslab the floor or can I just water/pest proof and lay joists right on top (STCA of course)?

Last edited: 2nd Jul, 2020
  2. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

What ever you install on top of that slab will lower the internal fit-- off legal limits , unless you fit a box gutter then lift the back section.imho.

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

When we wanted to build into an old open carport space (very similar) we were told it would need to be confirmed that the slab was suitable for a habitable room. It had to be a certain depth and strength (from memory) and we could not prove that. We also had to be able to prove it had been termite protected. I'd suggest you get in a builder or certifier.

Several questions arose during our recent raising of two houses. It was the certifier who was the person we needed to ask (even after discussing with builders) because he would either sign it off... or not.

Archaon likes this.
  4. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Ugh, that doesn't sound good...so in essence, it may as well be dirt there. I may opt for an 'outdoor' room.

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Slabs for patios and garages are rarely "house" grade. They are usually much thinner and contain no reinforcing.

You'd want it to be 75-100mm thick with reinforcing mesh in it plus footings at edges.

Lacrim likes this.
  6. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

In addition to inadequate thickness and reinforcement, it may not have a vapour barrier under or clearance above surrounding ground level for drainage of surface water. I wouldn’t build timber joists/bearers on top either as there will be inadequate clearance for ventilation and termite inspection.. I’d keep it as a patio or rip it all out and start again

wylie and Westminster like this.
  7. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

OK am leaning towards a cheaper variant of attached by raising and dressing the pergola with timber, lights, fan, idiot proof plants etc. House is in a lower socio area so def don't want to overcapitalise, but will have to use smoke and mirrors to enlarge the perceived living area

10-plants-for-courtyard-gardens-design.jpg 1503521488812.jpeg eleven-gables-back-porch-source-list_home-elements-and-style.jpg
    36 perth prahran 4.jpg

Last edited: 3rd Jul, 2020
    wylie likes this.