Can I end a tenancy agreement earlier?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by ATANG, 22nd Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

Is it possible to end a tenancy agreement earlier if I want to move in to it myself? In Melbourne.

2. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Anything's possible.
    Just a matter of how easy it is.
    You could ask the property manager to gauge how keen the tenants are to move.

3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

If they are on a fixed term lease, you can't legally force them to move out until the lease ends - and only then once you've given them the required notice.

However, as mentioned by Azazel - you could simply ask the tenants if they are prepared to move ... if they seem reluctant, perhaps offer to pay their moving costs or something?

It's a matter of working out a win-win to see if you can come up with a mutually agreeable arrangement.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

There'd have to be some pretty compelling reason as the tenant will have you over a barrel.

5. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I remember the 1st place I rented, the real estate agent said the owners wanted to move back in there. We moved, not really a big deal to us at the time.
    You might get lucky.

6. Simon Hampel

You never know - the tenant may have already decided to move but is bound by the terms of the lease, so they may actually be keen if given the chance to move early.

But then, they might not either - and it is their right to stay there until their lease is up.

7. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

I have the tenant signed up till 2017 lol... Cuz I was a bit concerned with the oversupplies thing in melb but then.... I kinda wanna move in myself sometimes next year... He's a decent tenant though, manager role, taking good care of my property.

8. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Hmm... good luck! ;)

9. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

You can end if both parties agree. Ask your pm to sniff around next inspection or phone call

10. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Yes, get them to subtle-y have a sniff, you might get lucky.

11. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

I don't like your chances, they signed an extended lease until 2017. They obviously had no intention of moving prior otherwise why sign a lease for greater than 12 months restricting themselves in the process.

12. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

True but like atang circumstances may have changed, i bet when offering a lease for long term there was no thoughts of moving in either. You never know your luck in the big city!

13. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

I've found open honest discussion works best, as Simon says (no pun) ya never know your luck.

If there's nothing preventing it in the terms of the lease you could possibly up the rest enough for them to protest and want to move.

14. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

You cannot just "up the rent" if they are on a fixed lease.

I would see what they want in order for them to move earlier than planned. We've done this before and allowed the tenant to have the last four weeks rent free. He wanted to move anyway, so it suited him very well.

People renting in our street came here after being paid $10K to move in order for the vendor to sell the house. They moved into our street, only to find out the landlord had quietly listed the house. They were not impressed, apart from the fact the landlord had no legal right to list the house within a certain time of a new lease. Tenants didn't make it easy for the open houses, and fair enough. The owners had unrealistic expectations of sale price, so the house didn't sell.

15. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

In WA it depends on the terms in the lease (don't know about other states).

"Rent in a fixed-term tenancy can only be increased if the written agreement specifies how much the rent increase will be or the method of calculating the rent increase is shown (eg by CPI).
    If the rent is able to be increased, it can take effect no sooner than six months after the commencement of the tenancy agreement and the date of the last increase.
    The lessor must give at least 60 days’ notice of the increase."

http://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/consumer-protection/rent-increases

16. Simon Hampel

In NSW you are permitted to increase the rent during a fixed term tenancy of 2 years or more provided it is not increased more than once every 12 months - RESIDENTIAL TENANCIES ACT 2010 - SECT 42 Rent increases under fixed term agreements.

However I believe the OP is in SA, and I don't believe any such clause exists in the SA Residential Tenancies act. In SA, you can only increase rent during a fixed term tenancy if it was agreed to as a part of the tenancy agreement.

17. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

You can write an increase into a Queensland lease too but it is agreed to before signing and you still must give notice before it goes up (unless I am mistaken).

The suggestion to "up the rent" sounded like a desperate ploy and I think is just not "doable" but it would be interesting to hear if the OP has any scope to do so.

18. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Not commenting on the ethics, but it could have the intended result in certain circumstances.
    If my landlord said they were increasing the rent by $XX/wk (even if they couldn't legally do it), I would probably get the ***** and start looking for somewhere else.
    Whether you want people who have the ***** with you looking after your house is another matter.

19. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Agreed, even for NSW.

You should issue rent reviews prior to renewal but include the notice in the lease.

20. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Confusing/frustrating how all states differ legally, so many things would be so much easier/efficient if the country was uniformed.

wylie likes this.

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.