NSW Can I claim rental loss from landlord insurance due to strata repair?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Matche, 4th Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Matche

Matche Active Member

There is a water leaking issue in my bathroom, strata sent a plumber and investigated(all paid by strata), strata confirmed that it's caused by the unit above. The plumber drill a big hole on my bathroom celing when checking the pile. They will fix it but it takes a while due to Christmas shutdown. My unit is vacant since Dec 2021 till now.

The previous tenant moved out on Nov 2021 and mentioned the water leaking is one of the reasons that caused them to move. I don't have anything in writting from tenant, it just verbally from my agent. The tenants also paid extra few weeks rent up to mid Dec as they break the lease.

My question is: can I claim for rental loss from mid Dec, as there is a hole on the bathroom celing, and also dusty water drip to the ground, even my agent open for inspection, no one submit application as obviously no one like the condition of bathroom.

Also, the brown colour dusty water caused some water mark on my bathroom floor tile and I cannot clean it, can I claim for damage?

I use Terri Scheer and can't find anything applicable in my case, do I miss anything? Or it just not covered in landlord insurance? Thanks for any advice.
    Landlord Insurance - Online Landlord Insurance Quotes | Terri Scheer

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Up to the terms and conditions.

Lodge a claim and see how it goes.

3. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Read the PDS, and if you don't understand anything, call them. Or, like @Marg4000 said, lodge a claim & see what the result is.

4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I have a similar issue happening. As it is a building the strata (OC in victoria) building insurance is covering loss of rent (I think.... I could be wrong - the PM and OC managers are handling it - PM has authority to claim in behalf of us to EBM - either way money is coming in for the empty property so something must be working...).

The Y-man

5. thunderstrike888

thunderstrike888 Well-Known Member

Unless your Strata covers it which you can try I dont think any Landlords Insurance will cover this. Your tenant already moved out and its up to yourself or strata to get the work completed in a timely manner in order to get another tenant.

I cant claim on a LL insurance if there was a hole in my roof and my tenant already moved out and due to my laziness or trades being on holidays I cant find a new tenant. They will no way cover me for this otherwise every lazy ass landlord would do it.

Unless you already had an existing tenant and a lease agreement in place and they were "forced" to move out due to the leak because of safety reasons then you most likely are covered. You never had a tenancy in place so doubtful any LL insurance will cover.

How long is the leak taking to fix? If they pinpoint it already it should be a 1 day job max no matter what it is. They are not ripping up the entire bathroom or removing all the pipes to fix a leak thats for sure.

Stoffo likes this.
  6. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

What did TSI say?

7. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Terri Scheer have one of the better policies on the market so its worth a call or even lodging the claim. I have had a scenario where strata claimed damage through their insurance and part of the policy included loss of rent, we worked with the strata insurers and they ended up paying approx 3 months of rent as it dragged out. Definitely worth looking into.

Michael Mitchell likes this.