Can I build granny flat on this land

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by Vivian, 13th Aug, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Vivian

Vivian Member

Hi,

I have approached a granny flat company for a granny flat built on this land. By looking at location, the company said it was impossible to build one due to the setback, less than 3m Screenshot_20210813-151402_Chrome.jpg

Could anyone have a look at the site plan and advise if it is doable and please suggest a reliable company that could help me with a granny flat on this land

Cheers

2. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Doable. However requires knockdown of the garage and double carport

Vivian likes this.
  3. Vivian

Vivian Member

I even mentioned knocking off the garage to the company consultant but they said sorry

Do you have any good reputation company?
    Could we approach for more than 1 company?

4. neK

neK Well-Known Member

You can see as many builders as you want.
    Most "granny flat" companies are just builders and they get someone else to design the granny flat. Unfortunately this also means they get basic rectangle boxes.

Your block is NOT suitable for a STANDARD RECTANGLE Granny Flat.
    It does not mean it is NOT suitable for a granny flat. Designing one for this block is more difficult, but the result would be far superior that those crappy rectangle boxes.

I've had a Granny Flat designer say that my design was not possible for similar shaped block with similar constraints and that it would not pass set backs / fire rated walls etc. They redrew my drawing into the system and checked the measurements and it fit and also had reduced the amount of fire-rated walls (which meant i could actually have a window in that room).

Obviously it took me several hours to work out the optimal design, but when you look at the granny flat designer's business model, they only want to spend about 30 mins to 1 hour optimising the granny flat design, otherwise it costs too much time and people won't pay the money.

Have a chat with Granny Flats Australia, little more costly than others, but they'll happily work with you with odd shape blocks.

Last edited: 16th Aug, 2021
    Vivian likes this.
  5. Vivian

Vivian Member

I have approached GFA and they provided me with draft of how the granny flat situates on the block.
    However, another builder mentioned about the primary and second boundary setbacks which may minimise building area.

Thank so much for your recommendation, I will get in touch with them soon

6. neK

neK Well-Known Member

The rear fence has a setback of 3m (subject to build height)
    The side setback is usually 0.9m for non corner blocks. For corner blocks this is 2m for blocks <599.99 and 3m for >600, there's one more tier i think is 900sqm that's 4.5m but i can't remember exactly.

Vivian likes this.
  7. Vivian

Vivian Member

Thanks for the information,

I do have an electric box on my block too, do you know any restriction regarding this? I was told 3m away from the box

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice