Can I add Granny flat to this land

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by NewbieHere, 21st Jun, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. NewbieHere

NewbieHere Member

Hello,

I am about to make an offer to a house in NSW. Land size 646 m². I am attaching plot dimensions and easement to the plot.

Plot
    easement
    Site-Plan

Do you see any issues with potential to add Granny flat due to this easement ? Definitely, we will need to get rid of swimming pool. Is easement going to significantly restrict Granny flat potential ?

2. RichardN

RichardN Well-Known Member

I have a similar kind of lot, more man holes, 550 sqm, built grannyflat a few years ago.

You need to leave the setbacks, space between the existing house and proposed structure and measure the area to build GF. I think you need to build structures 1 meter away from easement.

After leaving all setbacks, see how much space left. If its 60 sqm, you are good to go.

You can engage any grannyflat builder, they can do quick due diligence for you at no cost.

You might need to build L shape GF.

See this link Guide: Granny Flat Requirements in NSW by Acrow [2020]

Whitecat likes this.
  3. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

It's not a massive pipe and looks like it's fairly close to the boundary.

You might have problems building it due to access though, unless your car port is quite wide and tall.

4. NewbieHere

NewbieHere Member

Thank you @RichardN , @spludgey !!

Side access / car port is about 5 m wide. Pool fence is 11.5 * 8.5 m. I am thinking if we get rid of pool, we should be good for Granny flat.

5. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

The area inside might just be big enough.
    I think you need a 24m² courtyard, and as you need a 3m setback from the back, I'd put it towards the back. That then allows 14m² or so for access, assuming a 60m² granny flat.
    So it will be very tight as to whether it's enough.

6. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I've seen plenty GFs put onto similar. I'd be looking at giving the GF tenants access down the side of the house, not through the carport, and fencing it so that it's separate from the main house. If you do that, then the carport and access to the house will be more private and the tenants won't be walking through the back yard.

Whitecat, NewbieHere and spludgey like this.
  7. SJ&L

SJ&L Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing. I looked at Acrow's link, under minimum site requirments, there is a point as below:
    • "Property must have a minimum 12 metre width at the building line of the existing dwelling. If your property does not meet this requirement you are able to apply for an attached granny flat."
    What does it mean by 'a minimum12m width at the building line of the existing dwelling'? What is building line? Does it simply mean the lot needs 12m width?

8. SJ&L

SJ&L Well-Known Member

Hello Newbiehere, would you like to share what you find out and if you are going to build on this land? Would love to learn from your experience too. ;)

9. NewbieHere

NewbieHere Member

Thank you everyone for you inputs.

Unfortunately, my offer to this property was unsuccessful :( I did not pursue this granny flat potential further..

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.