Can front side rendering improve the property look (and valuation)

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Samj, 2nd Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Can only FRONT side rendering improves the look? Is it worth to do for a 2 years old house?

1. Yes

2. No

3. I don't see much improvement when only front is rendered

4. I hate only front rendered houses

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Samj

Samj Well-Known Member

We have a 2 years old house and we have got brick walls without rendering. We are considering to render only the front side of the house hoping it will give a little bit of good look. It will cost couple of thousand dollars and just thought to get your opinion before going ahead. Thank you.

2. Username86

Username86 Well-Known Member

I remember reading an article about this by Cherie Barber, from memory she suggested painting the remainder of the bricks the same colour as the render. Also the render went around the side for a couple of meters.

Brian84 likes this.
  3. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

This is really common in new estates - the front is rendered and the rest isn't. We're going to do this to our place shortly - the front and around the side that can be seen from the street.

Depending on the brick, I reckon it's a great idea - our brick has cream and pink tones which are way too nanna for my liking so render will definitely improve it.

Perthguy likes this.
  4. Samj

Samj Well-Known Member

Thanks Jess! Sounds you have look into this recently. Is there anything I should consider when selecting a rendering person or any specific rendering material or something? I've got one really cheap quote ($1400) from someone and not sure if I should be extra careful when selecting a tradie.

5. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

Hi Samj,

When choosing render I would go with an acrylic render as it dries sort of like rubber and it allows for movement in the house so it won't crack as opposed to using sand and cement render. You can also add any colour into the acrylic render so you don't have to paint it. Where if you use sand and cement you still have to paint.

Note: All render will crack eventually. Acrylic should last an easy 10 years

Samj likes this.
  6. House

House Well-Known Member

For a painted brick house I've heard it's better to use acrylic render only as it contains adhesive so allows it to stick. Several coats required and on the 2nd one a polystyrene float used. Final coat has paint colour mixed in to save $'s.

Have a look at Rock Coat, it also has the colour mixed in with the render to save on painters costs ;)

Samj likes this.
  7. WallyB66

WallyB66 Well-Known Member

Hi- depends if it's high end house- if so I wouldn't render just part of house (Cherie was targetting lower end reno's) also depends whats in neighborhood. Some places have lots of nice brick like Middle Cove, Bella Vista etc and the rendered houses can look a little cheap in those areas.
    Good luck, Wal

8. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Render the whole thing. Keeps it uniform and prevents potential buyers from thinking you've only done half a job.

9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

will painting these walls be cheaper and improve the look????

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It's 2 years old - you shouldn't need to be expending $ at this stage.

craigc likes this.
  11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

could point, why didn't I think of this, unless they hate the brick colour???. LOL

Scott No Mates likes this.
  12. justine77

justine77 Well-Known Member

Yes i've seent hem render just front of house or slightly more sometimes

also save time with colored render so no need to render and then paint just one step

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF