Can council charge rates to each dwelling if a property has not been subdivided?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Keentolearn77, 3rd Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Keentolearn77

Keentolearn77 Well-Known Member

Hi

I'm unsure, does anyone know, are council able to charge per dwelling if there are multiple dwellings on 1 title.
    ie: recently built multiple townhouses, but have not yet undertaken subdivision of title.

Council have mailed 'supplementary valuation notices' for each townhouse - with extra charges based on new capital improved value

Council advise that the supplementary notices are calculated based on Certificate of Occupancy permit date NOT subdivision of title date...

I guess this falls under the death & taxes category, they have us every which way.....

2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I have 2 on a block in Perth. I still get on rates bill and it is higher than before, with the additional dwelling pushing up the fees. It's not double the old fee though.

Keentolearn77 likes this.
  3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Each lot or stratum would receive a individual notice. If there are multiple dwellings on a non strata title then one account may issue and it may include multiple service charges for waste etc but often just treated as a single dwelling. Generally until Land Title is divided at that time of the subdivide and it affcets rates, water and sewer and land tax. On the subdivision they will thereafter issue individual notices. Of course land value will change. Many councils have a process to smooth transition for a interim period. Ask your council what the process is.

I recall recently seeing a client who had paid the first quarter so council reissued 4 x annual notices with a smoothing adjustment of each reval and then credited 1/4 of what had been paid. One thing to watch is land tax since some or none may now be eligible and 4 x titles could be assessable. Again some states have a process to smooth that too.

4. KateAshmor

KateAshmor Victorian Conveyancing Lawyer Business Member

Yes, under the Local Government Act.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia