Can anyone give me hints or warnings re nbn

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by justine77, 26th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. justine77

justine77 Well-Known Member

How have you found the nbn as there seem to be lots of complaints of unreliability online and complaints that it starts fast then goes slow after a couple of months or drops out a few times a day or drops out if there's the slightest of rain

Can anyone give me any warnings or hints about it please.

2. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Depends on where you are and who your nbn retailer/provider is. Best bet is go to the whirlpool forum and slog your way through the posts to make up your own mind. Have fun (there is nothing fun about WP unless you're a masochist) and be warned WP trolls will rip newbies to shreds just for "fun".

Perthguy likes this.
  3. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

The retail carrier you go with has no control over dropouts. They do have control over throughout during peak times however.

I would suggest dont go for a cheap provider on an unlimited plan - more than likely get more congestion at peak times. Having said that, there is not actually that much difference in price really.

Personally, I am about to switch from Optus back to Telstra. Optus are not particularly great anymore (haven't invested much in infrastructure since Singtel bought them really). The reason I am going to Telstra is that my wife works from home 2 days a week and needs a reliable connection for her VPN. Telstra offers a VDSL modem that also has a built in 4G sim, so for no additional cost, if the VDSL goes down, it automatically switches to 4G.

full disclosure: i was working in telco networking for 15 years or so, and yes, I still think Telstra has the best network, and does not run as high a contention ratio.

Cheers,
    Inertia.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  4. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

I can declare that I am very happy with my NBN provider Aussiebroadband.
    Im getting fixed wireless at the 50/20 speeds typically 40+ and 15+ at all times.
    Australian call centre, very friendly and helpful and do not sit waiting for ages to be served. Not had one negative incident or problem apart from disruptions due to nBN Co doing upgrades of which we are well in advance notified.
    Had a horrible time with Telstra but so glad I switched to AussieBB. They just had a deal of which I took part in that you pay forward 6 or 12 months in advance and get 1 or 2 months credit. Worked for me as monthly plan is only $55 so did the 12 month and got 2 months credit.
    Also, when I joined up got double GB for first 6 months and 2 months free!
    No contract, can leave anytime but had to buy modem via $33.17 billed/month for first 6 months. Easy!

Perthguy likes this.
  5. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

My speeds with Exetel are solid and I don't get dropouts. Don't believe everything you read online.

6. jyeung80

jyeung80 Well-Known Member

Not entirely correct. The RSP can be responsible for dropouts but has no control over dropouts caused by nbn.

To answer the OP's original question, the majority of feedback I've hard about the nbn is positive, particularly for those who are coming from ADSL. Speeds on FTTB or FTTN can be a bit unpredictable but should still be faster than your average ADSL connection. I have heard stories of people who were on BigPond cable that had horrible speed drops once it was transitioned across to nbn. It's anecdotal though so take it with a grain of salt.

Note: I currently work for a telco and have previously worked for nbn.

7. Coffee

Coffee Well-Known Member

Before NBN with Exetel AdSL2

With Exetel on NBN 100/40

Canberra
    BTW I am super close to the node :)

SarahD and Perthguy like this.
  8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If you are adamant that you require a home phone or wired broadband, you will have no choice. Your only alternative will be wireless broadband through 4G or 5G when available.

Perthguy likes this.
  9. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

@Scott No Mates there is always choice. Not ideal choices mind you, but one could always move overseas. Or start one's own telecommunications network :p:p:p

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Too many hoops to jump through with getting a licence, ACMA, TIO & dealing with me :rolleyes:

JacM likes this.
  11. justine77

thank you for all he hints and info. I've heard many people have problems so i'm very grateful for any experience and hints.

12. JacM

Be warned that as far as I can tell, once the NBN installation people turn up and start digging, broadband and mobile reliability is greatly reduced in the area. Not sure why, but is is very frustrating.

13. justine77

Oh ok. How many days does that last for the unreliability in phone and internet.
    There have been documentarys about alot of people saying that the nbn didnt work at all that now they have no internet that they were forced to go on it and now they just have problems with noone helping listening and no recourse or answers.

https://www.9now.com.au/a-current-affair/2017/extras/latest/171024/nbn-nightmare

14. AlexV_Sydney

AlexV_Sydney Well-Known Member

I'm with Telstra, 88Mb/s download. The speed is stable over the last 2 years. Didn't notice any downtimes.

15. justine77

this is part of what one documentary above said but there have been a few documentaries with many people saying they have no working internet that its been a nightmare

Businesses losing hundreds of thousands of dollars from having 6 months of no internet

Complaints up by 160%

Sold that its faster

But people suffering

No help. Telcos nbn and indian call centres hand the problems to each other no one helping.

People moving businesses interstate to try to get proper connection

People not getting internet even when living near major cities.

Cost jobs

Paying more for bad internet

Kids not able to do homework because no homework

Cost people over half a million in lost businesses

They are saving money by using nodes with old copper wiring to homes instead of bringing it near each home like rudd gov originally said it would do but gov after decided to save money with nodesand copper wiring which clogs up the internet.

Australian consumers advocate network

Nbn customers should take complaints straight to telcos

Ask for compensation or change telcos

No one taking control gov should but isnt resolving issues

16. willy1111

willy1111 Well-Known Member

@justine77 Check the speed of the plan you are going on, there are 4 speeds...12.5, 25, 50 and 100.

Those with 12.5 will complain too slow, this would be ok for email, web surfing, not video/streaming.

25 is good for email/web surfing and 1 person watching video/streaming.

50 if you have multiple people in house wanting to watch video/stream

100 the beez neez, you will never complain of slow speeds.

If the plan doesn’t advertise the speed, chances are it is the bottom one and you will likely be unhappy.

Stoffo likes this.
  17. JacM

Yes Brisbane CBD apparently had no internet whatsoever for about 2 weeks when the NBN came to town. Imagine trying to run a legal firm under such circumstances. Nightmare. If your business is not able to withstand downtime when NBN first arrives, have an emergency plan to take your laptop elsewhere that doesn't have issues and ride out the storm.

18. justine77

is it common to have no internet or phone reception for 2 weeks when they are digging or how do i find out how long it will disrupt reception and usage.

19. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

We are on cable broadband, very happy with it. Dreading being forced to connect to nbn. We were scheduled to get nbn last November, but (thankfully) new rollouts reported to be suspended while problems sorted out.

I may be anecdotal, but of our many friends connected to the nbn, those who previously had asdl are quite happy, those who previously had cable are very disappointed.
    Marg

Tom Rivera and Stoffo like this.
  20. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

In my experience, cable connections are much faster than NBN, but it is very area and provider specific.

I've learned to stick with Telstra for everything. Their staff are unbearable but at least you're getting the best possible speeds.

Heinz57 and Marg4000 like this.