Can a PM stop me from changing?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by stvincets, 19th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. stvincets

stvincets Member

We have a IP in Country Victoria, my partner and I have a joint loan on this.

We recently split up , we were not married just living in a defacto relationship for nearly one year.( 9 months to be exact)

The IP is managed thru a local agent who seems to have taken sides with my ex partner.

My ex has blocked me from contacting her.

I want to change property management for various reasons mostly because they never acknowledge or reply to my emails .

I call them, they never return my calls, the rental income is always late etc, the tenant complain to me on a inspection.

Recently I contacted another property manager in the area who was willing to take over the IP, however the current PM refused to hand over the keys, they replied saying they would continue to manage the property as my ex partner wanted this , I did think I had a say as well ?
    I cannot contact my ex as they have blocked my communication.

However I would like change the Property managers ,it seems Im in a no win situation unless I can get some communication from my ex

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Who is the management agreement with? Both of you?

Who actually owns the property? Is it joint ownership - "Joint tenants" or "Tenants in Common" ?

TMNT, EN710, craigc and 1 other person like this.
  3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Plus Member

If you are a joint owner you cannot contract without the other person.

Perp and Michael Mitchell like this.