Travel & Holidays Camping with a baby

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by sandyfeet, 18th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. sandyfeet

sandyfeet Well-Known Member

Hi all, any tips for going camping with a 5 month old?

Heading away over easter to the South Coast for a few nights in the tent. We are staying in the national park and have thought of all the essentials that we would normally need. We feel we have most bases covered but thought there might be some handy bits and pieces or ideas that may make the trip easier?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

2. datto

datto Well-Known Member

South Coast should be fine.

I'd steer clear of Uluru though.

3. sandyfeet

have seen goannas at this site previously - we might be on 60 minutes in a month

datto likes this.
  4. Raydar

Raydar Well-Known Member

You're keen! Just don't focus to much on all the baby essentials to bring. You'll likely forget the hammer or the matches. Not that i'm speaking from experience...cough cough

5. sandyfeet

good point! considering the wife is in charge of all things baby and im in charge of all things camping, probably wont go well if we come up short a pole or a gas cooker - at least bub will be in a nappy (reliable wife)

6. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Just have a list. Been to camping with babies and they don't need much. The usual medical stuff and some toys. Make sure tent temperature is okay when you put baby to bed. Not much really. Just enjoy.

sandyfeet likes this.
  7. datto

datto Well-Known Member

You're probably just over concerned Sandy. That's understandable.

I'll be donning my BigFoot suit shortly but I won't be heading down South rest assured lol.

Might try the Warrumbungles this time lol.....don't shoot! It's only a disguise lol.

bob shovel likes this.
  8. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Bonjela

Mooze likes this.
  9. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

Ear plugs for the neighbours and an all terrain pram. I've spent many a holiday circling caravan parks getting baby to sleep

Mooze, sandyfeet and Lisa Parker like this.
  10. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

It will be easy. Babies can't talk back and tell you how boring it is and where the hell is the wifi in this ********. Lol

11. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

At 5 months they're great cause they stay still! Just bring a rocker for bub to chill out. A few rugs, or old blankets from vinnies are good so you're not worried about them getting trashed.

We packed up and left with an 18 month old and a tent. We could use an air bed though. Do you have a portacot? Get something so they're off the ground and then best to have a blanket under for warmth. Or just sleep with you guys.

Check out on Facebook, great helpful people
    https://m.facebook.com/travelaustraliawithkids/
    We drove across the country with a 5 month old, but we had a caravan. Awesome age cause they sleep heaps!...except at night! Funny guy :mad: Then when setting up they just sit in a rocker or on a rug. Bring an Ikea high chair! They're great to pull apart and throw around

First aid kit is important. Mozzies are the worst, and can ruin the trip. Bushman's is the best repellent but it's really bad **** with the deet in it. Citronella candles are good. Also Avon hand cream the fisherman swear by as a repellent, check Dr google it's one of the Avon potions

You really don't need much stuff. Keep it simple!

12. sandyfeet

haha, my wife nearly wet herself at this

Xenia likes this.
  13. sandyfeet

thanks Bob, we do have a portacot we will use and the extra vinnies rugs is a great tip, thanks,

will check out the facebook link too

14. Mooze

Mooze Well-Known Member

The square foam mats with holes in them that you can get in packs of four from any camping store - great for under babies rug or as entry to the tent

bob shovel likes this.
  15. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

The one thing I have got heaps of use of is an old sheet of canvas! Like the window shade stuff. Use it for working on the 4wd, changing tyres, kids play mat, it's covered in paint and oil

16. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

My now19 yr old was 6 weeks old when we went bush first time

id just avoid the middle of summer

ta

rolf

17. Capella

Capella New Member

A blow up toddler swimming pool. It'll pack flat. I always found a warm bath soothed my babes and and helped settle them for the night. We also always packed one when staying in motels in case there was only a shower.
    Getting them up off the ground in a porta cot is good for cooler nights and any crawlies. It's also a play pen for when you're setting up. Pack it in the car last so it can be first out. As Beachgurl said a pram for moonlit walks!
    We've camped, both bush and caravan parks, with 4 kids, our youngest spent his entire third month camping. Relax and enjoy the experience and Bub will too.

sandyfeet likes this.