QLD Camp Hill - Overland Flow

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by AnnaSophia, 7th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. AnnaSophia

AnnaSophia Active Member

After some great advice we received yesterday from property chat members we have been doing more research.

The townhouse we were looking at for our PPOR is 17/21 Boongall Road.
    17/21 Boongall Road, Camp Hill QLD 4152 | Domain
    It has never been affected by flood damage since its build in 1998 however it is at risk of overland flow (see map - property is marked in red and I have circled in blue) and waterway corridor is listed o the floodwise property report.

Building insurance is covered in Body Corp fees via QBE so we requested a copy of the policy from the agent to see the particulars of what is covered as we know some people were not covered for overflow damage in the 2011 floods and suffered. He said he does not have it and it is not something that would be provided to agents. He did say should we wish to make an offer it can be subject to body corp disclosure, finance and b&p inspections. I thought this would be a standard thing to provide given the risks associated with overflow but accept I am a novice and this could be wishful thinking.

What are people's general feelings about a property with these overflow path risks. Keen to hear opinions, thoughts and advice.

Attached Files:

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member Premium Member

As an investment? I wouldn't touch it.

it's irrelevant how much risk or lack of risk there may be from flooding. Perception (and fear) rules the day. The fact that you're concerned to ask this question is evidence enough.

GenericName, AnnaSophia and Jana like this.
  3. AnnaSophia

AnnaSophia Active Member

Hi Sackie - thanks for your response. It is for PPOR. Totally understand your point. We are pretty risk averse but it was just speaking to people in the complex who said they hadn't had an issue I suppose it just made us contemplate whether it was worth it esp if we would be covered insurance wise.

4. Sackie

Check with an insurer if you haven't already. Also be mindful you may wish to sell your PPOR one day and I'd imagine it may affect the value.

AnnaSophia likes this.
  5. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Any flood flags are a no-no for me. Do you really need the headache and potential resale negatives?

AnnaSophia and My House QLD like this.
  6. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

Last edited: 8th Mar, 2020
  7. AnnaSophia

AnnaSophia Active Member

We definitely would find out re insurance but feeling ourselves steer away from it. We love the position but can see these townhouses definitely sell more cheaply than others in the area like you mentioned due to the flood risk although we did research sales history for all the townhouses in the complex and it seemed quite decent. (See attached - Wembley Park). We are in early phases of looking for PPOR so I suppose all this is worthwhile in terms of knowing where to look to assess any property's flooding potential/ noise pollution etc. Definitely learning a lot!

Attached Files:

8. AnnaSophia

AnnaSophia Active Member

@Lacrim That is definitely how we are starting to feel and it helps to hear how other people respond to the possibility of overland flow and potential damage.

9. AnnaSophia

AnnaSophia Active Member

10. Sackie

It's an added risk. As a ppor, if you can get it at a great price when compared to similar in the area, then it may be worth it. But for me, It would really have to be a great price.

Last edited: 8th Mar, 2020
  11. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

No worries. Arial photos of that location from 1936. You'll notice where the natural water corridors are. Many low lying areas, just downstream from that location were swamps prior to land clearing, draining and creation of drainage corridors.

You won't see river flooding (rising water) in that location, but a large localised event "upstream" could potentially cause overland flooding. It's probably pretty remote though.

Still, there's a reason that location wasn't built on when the area was first suburbanised in the early 1900s. It's basically a creek bed!

Fast forward 100 years, the council doesn't care cause they can charge development application fees and rates, and the developer doesn't case cause he/she isn't holding the property.... The question is you want to?

The risk of an overland flooding is probably remote, you'll probably find someone else to sell to one day. Just comes down to price really

AnnaSophia likes this.
  12. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

We live in Brisbane, in a totally flood free area, and the latest maps show some overland flow areas not far from us. Locals who have lived in the area for 50-60 years say there has never been an issue. Not sure where the cartographers got their info from.

Jana and Christina46 like this.
  13. Leeroy93

Leeroy93 Well-Known Member

Council are cracking down lately on applications where overland flow impacts the property. Maybe not a concern for existing developments but it may become an issue in future if you wish to add value or extend.

AnnaSophia likes this.
  14. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

You should not see overland flow as being the same as flood, they are not the same things at all. Overland flow is usually quite localised based on the very near systems of creeks, it is a version of stormwater before it reaches the stormwater drains. In a flood you have a risk of an 'event' that can adversely affect you until ppl forget the event happened (every three years QLD ppl forget the event …… the event happens every 7-10 years - work that out). Overland flow is different in that it could be as simple as the natural place that water flows in a local storm (flash) and the good thing about knowing that is you can manage your property with that in mind, and your downstream neighbours can too.

AnnaSophia likes this.
  15. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Probs not cartographers, maybe hydrologists or engineers. Cartographers are mostly retired now or running Subway or Uber drivers. Or dead of old age

AnnaSophia likes this.
  16. AnnaSophia

AnnaSophia Active Member

That is amazing to see the history of it. My husband is English and cannot get his head around all the flood risk areas in Brisbane. Thanks for your feedback - I really appreciate it.

ChrisP73 likes this.
  17. AnnaSophia

AnnaSophia Active Member

Thanks Sackie. It has really helped us to hear people's thoughts and response. Have spent a lot of time findng the resources to try and make a sensible decision. This may sound like a stupid question - but what would be a great price. Say for instance the current owner bought the property in 2016 for $445000 - would a reasonable expectation of a "great price" be getting it at the same amount, a little less or a little more. Very new to this game so please excuse my ignorance.

18. AnnaSophia

AnnaSophia Active Member

Thanks for the heads up on this. Going to ring BCC today just to get any guidance possible. Even if it isn't for this property - if the issue of overland flow arises again at least I will be informed about it and can make a decision more quickly.

19. AnnaSophia

AnnaSophia Active Member

Going to try and find that out today. People share a similar experience - "we have never had an issue" - but equally I don't want to rely on that - so as you said would be good to get an understanding of the basis for the coding of those areas.

20. AnnaSophia

AnnaSophia Active Member

Thanks so much for your response and the explanation. I will be honest I was not familiar with the different type of "flood" risks and when I initially read about overland flow I didn't think it sounded too bad esp if residents had not had any issues to date. However, I was then reading that people post 2011 floods - had quite significant damage that was effectively caused by overland flow and they were not covered. We also looked at a property at Carina this year that was down the road from a stormwater drain and he said whilst it didn't have any damage in 2011, in 2015 localised rainfall and subsequent effects - meant the water was up to his chest level. Have you had any properties in an overland flow path?