Technology & Social Media Camera help needed

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Sackie, 29th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@Sackie Hint - working in low light will require a tripod as you cannot hold a lens stable at a shutter speed shorter than its focal length ie anything less than 1/60 sec for a 50mm lens will blur (or 1/250 for a 200mm lens, 1/1000 for a 1000 mm lens etc). Next purchase - Velbon tripod & cable release.

To limit blurring of the subject (photo 1), camera should be mounted on a tripod and you follow the subject, background will blur but the subject will be sharp. You require a faster shutter speed to 'freeze' the action.

Last edited: 8th May, 2019
    Sackie likes this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Apologies for the quality of the photos (old scanned copies) & tightly cropped.

upload_2019-5-8_22-11-8.png
    Be in front of the action to catch it

upload_2019-5-8_22-16-52.png

Or behind it.

upload_2019-5-8_22-12-40.png

Use a fast shutter to capture the action

All photos on Canon AE1 Program using F4.0 70-210 mm lens on Ilford B&W ISO125

3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

For the movement, try to follow the moving object so that it's the background which is blurred.

Pic 2 is the best one IMO. I like the way that the buildings are showing the lights. I'd crop out the roofs in the foreground though.

The advice that @Depreciator has given is good. In order to hand hold the camera you've really pushed up the ISO, which would really affect the quality of the picture if you were to enlarge it. You can try to rest the camera on a firm surface in the absence of a tripod, and try a range of different shutter speeds.

Have fun, it sounds like you're enjoying it so far.

Sackie likes this.
  4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback gents, its making more and more sense. I was watching a really good YouTube clip which explained how all three variables affect light but they also have a creative function, and it went through them. Thanks to the on line course i was familiar with most of it ( in theory at least).

Right so time for my tripod order. Any recommendations?:D

Last edited: 8th May, 2019
    geoffw likes this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Velbon or Slik

Something like this - Linky

You need a cable release for your shutter as well to minimise camera shake when pressing the shutter.

Sackie likes this.
  6. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

I like anything Manfrotto. This is a good all rounder Manfrotto Befree Compact Lightweight Travel Photography Tripod | cheapest sale prices in Australia | and what I plan on getting as my 'travel' tripod as my usual one is too heavy and bulky

Pretty sure 200D has either wifi or bluetooth so you can pair the Cannon Camera Connect app which lets you control your camera from your phone (including shutter release). Failing that, the timer function is a good poor mans cable release :D

Sackie likes this.
  7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Thanks guys and gals. Whats the best website to buy camera gear?

8. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Do you know the different between aussie stock and grey imports?

9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

No clue. Quality? Price?

10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Grey market goods are legal, non-counterfeit goods sold outside normal distribution channels by entities which may have no relationship with the producer of the goods. This form of parallel import frequently occurs when the price of an item is significantly higher in one country than another.

Wikipedia

11. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Nope, where it comes from and mainly about warranty.

There's a lot of online stores that stock grey import items. Nothing wrong with that, they're cheaper but there's no Australian warranty should you need to claim anything. From what I understand, you need to send it back to the country of origin to make a warranty claim which could work out timely and expensive.

I have a rule where I only buy (new) aussie stock bodies from retail stores and lenses I'm happy to buy grey stock or second hand even as long as I can inspect it as the chance of something going wrong with a body is a lot higher than a lens.

I've been shooting with Canon cameras for 16 years and have owned 9-ish bodies (and probably double or triple that for lenses, and yes, sometimes the same one several times over [long story]....) over that time from entry level to one step down from the highest spec you can get and have never had an issue. BUT, I really need to make my first warranty claim as my current workhorse body has been playing up but is still usable.

My online stuff I get from the store I linked for the tripod. They've always been good quality and quick to deliver.

Locally, I've found a great bloke at my local JB's who must see his commission targets reached for the month whenever I walk into the store. But he's always done great pricing on stuff and usually price matches the online stuff, even when it's a grey import I'm showing him but I have spent quite a bit of money there.

Sackie likes this.
  12. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

I'd recommend some decent editing software too if you want to take it seriously. Adobe Lightroom is a great photographers all-rounder with Photoshop being handy too but I would get Lightroom first. But that's just a whole other can of worms to learn!

Sackie likes this.
  13. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Thanks for that detailed explanation @Kinnon. I'll get the manfrotto. Would like one with cable release separate from phone though cos I know I'd get annoyed at always having to set a timer :oops:

Editing software on my one day wish list after i can consistently take decent shots and learn more about photography in general.

Eventually I'm planning to take my own artistic shots to blow up and frame for my house. Price tags below for inquisitive guests :D:oops:

Kesse likes this.
  14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Do I need to buy the cable release separately?

15. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Download the canon camera connect app anyway (shutter release not timer related there) and have a play as you can manipulate all sorts of settings through there.

Yes, cable separately. I have an old Canon one sitting around, when I have time, I'll see if it's compatible with your camera and if it is, you can have it if you want as I have no need for it.

PS I'd recommend the software sooner rather than later as that can be the difference between a mediocre shot and a decent one. But also agree with getting things right in camera first too.

Just in the middle of editing a video for work but when I'm done I'll trawl through some of my old photos and show the difference of SOOC (straight out of the camera) vs edited.

Sackie likes this.
  16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Wow thanks Kinon! If you find it and its compatible I'm more than happy to have it . I'll reply to sender with a thank you gift :)

17. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Looking forward to it! :D

18. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I've just had a little.play with your last picture, just using the simple tools on my phone.

A little bit of cropping, an increase in exposure overall and boosting shadow exposure to show the lights in the building, and a bit of saturation to compensate for the loss of colour when increasing the exposure. You can see in your original shots how much sky colour you lose when you increase exposure for the darker areas. Saturation can be overdone - I try to use it sparingly.

Use one of the basic free photo editing apps on your desktop to explore what you can do. Top end photo editing is very powerful, but it may not be worth the expense if you want to keep to the basics.
    IMG-20190508-WA0004.jpg

Sackie likes this.
  19. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Thanks @geoffw ! I'll play around with it.

Just got off the phone with jb offering 199 for the Manfrotto Befree compact tripod. Harvey Norman was 249. I asked JB for best price and got it down to $175! On my way to pick up :D

20. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Oops - too late to catch him! :eek:

Was going to say I use a Slik Sprint - 890g, goes to 1.6m high. I have gone overseas with it in check in and no probs as far as damage or anything.

The Y-man

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia