Calling tight arses

Discussion in 'Money Management & Banking' started by MTR, 16th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Can you do that!

2. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I am thinking the same

158 likes this.
  3. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

This has been interesting reading.

I was talking to a friend the other day who said that her husband is now paying the rent because she dropped a day at work. I was surprised. I guess I thought that the days of men paying the bills and giving the wife "pocket money" were gone.
    My husband is a spender but has curbed his ways. LOL He knows that saving to build a property portfolio has been more of a priority. We have joint accounts but he has no idea how much money we have or what our cashflow is. He's not interested. He just knows he could retire and that we can holiday when we want.
    I think your spendeing patterns are learned early in life. Sure you can change that but it's difficult. Even if I was a billionaire I would still not waste money.
    But no way would I be travelling economy class on a plane.:D

Jess Peletier and freyja like this.
  4. freyja

freyja Well-Known Member

This is so true! I still remember sitting in the back of our family van listening to my mum telling my dad "you don't make money by saving". I must have been about 10 and it really got me thinking...even back then I was into 'money' lol.

Hubby is a spender, I am a saver; we balance each other out. He concedes if it wasn't for me we wouldn't have what we do. I concede if it wasn't for him we wouldn't have what we do :p.

I can even see it in my kids. #1 is tight as they come. She refused to cook dinner on her allocated night once so I ordered fish and chips and took the cost out of her pocket money. Worked a treat as a consequence - she hasn't missed cooking dinner since (although we suffered a whopping tantrum once she realised who was paying for dinner). It wouldn't work for #2 though - she spends every cent on plastic crap. I have enforced savings of $3 a week from her pocket money so she can see how a little, often adds up. She thought it was unfair to have different 'rules' with her money but she needed it. Now she's got a nice stash, she doesn't mind so much. #3 is thrifty - can spot it in the way he spends his birthday money from grandma. So, I say it's both nature versus nurture from our younger years that shapes our relationship with money today.

5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I reckon its much easier to go from being a spender to a saver if the motivation is there than it is to go from being a saver to a spender.

6. Sashatheman

Sashatheman Well-Known Member

I consider my self frugal. some of the things I do:
    - I cut my own hair. Mainly because I don't like how the hair dressers cut my hair, but I also save money.
    - At lunch times I walk from Townhall station and catch a train back. This means that by Wednesday my opal trips are free. Its also good exercise.
    - Only buy meat when it has those reduced to clear signed
    - Don't believe in heaters, use to just rug-up more if it was cold to save on electricity bills. But now with a newborn we turn one heater on at night.

WattleIdo likes this.
  7. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Haha. I'm the same. As I read this I'm sitting with two jumpers on.

If I have guests though, heater goes on.

Touristy and WattleIdo like this.
  8. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

I don't think so...far easier to live a more expensive life than to tighten the belt. Requires a lot of strict discipline to go from spender to saver...same in the corporate world.

9. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

My cat is the frugal yet lazy one in my household so doesn't pay board and sleeps all day. Drinks water and eats tinned food.

WattleIdo and JDP1 like this.
  10. sash

sash Well-Known Member

I am frugal also...as I try to meat and fish when on sale where possible. I just don't go over board.

I also buy smaller quantities....and buy more regularly...so stuff stays fresher.

11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

My dogs and cat are not frugal, they cost me a fortune, only the expensive brands of cat food and dogs get BBQ chicken and treats. About $30 per week.

MTR:)

12. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

My mechanic is the same. Good bloke, good employee, but gives me the "headshakes" with his "steptoe" life.

He said the other day how cold it was out in his garage a few night before (he has a workshop out there and tinkers with an old car); I said; "Buy yerself one of those cafe heaters".

He replied; "They are a waste of money!" :rolleyes: (it has been bitterly cold down our way, and currently minus 1 degree as I type this).

Now; to put some perspective on this statement, he is 57, single, never been married, no kids, small mortgage on a very modest house in the cheapest area of our suburb, owns a car outright, never goes on holidays (except the odd camping trip), doesn't own a mobile phone or computer, still uses a Bank passbook...and has solar power at home, and earns more than I do per week currently.

I wouldn't call him a Luddite, but jeez; he's bloody close. He has never gone to the shop and bought a take-away lunch of any sort since working for me for 3.5 years - always sandwiches from home.

Now; my thinking is; you are a long time dead, and unless you are completely broke and cannot afford even the basic luxuries, then you owe it to yourself to have a few small luxuries in life.

13. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

Are you paying him ?

14. Bayview

Yes.

15. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

Goodo.:)
    But you don't earn anything "currently" do you?
    :p

16. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Cat food costs me $4 per week.

The big expense is boarding when I travel. $19 per night for the cattery I use. Some backpackers would cost less!

17. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

You can always say it's doing your bit for the environment these days!

WattleIdo likes this.
  18. Bayview

Got that right.

Nah; I do draw a wage, but it's a pathetic level given years alive, and supposed reward for effort etc.

Too bad, so sad, suck it up and keep punchin.

19. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Nah, I already had a house when we met. Other than that, we were both broke.

willair likes this.
  20. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

What am I? ;)