Calling all prophets - Where will the market be in...?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by albanga, 16th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Firstly, many people made money buying in markets in Sydney and certain markets in Brisbane in 2015 - not just me.

Secondly, It was not buying 'everywhere' as you stated, but in certain areas and specific stock, especially for Brisbane.

Do your own DD, but be very careful if you're looking to buy in Sydney markets atm. There is still room for more corrections.

Last edited: 2nd Jul, 2018
    Perthguy likes this.
  2. ollidrac nosaj

ollidrac nosaj Well-Known Member

3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I'd take property investing advice from my half senile grandmother before I do from those two.

Last edited by a moderator: 13th Jun, 2019
    adam duckworth likes this.
  4. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I pity the fool...

Last edited by a moderator: 13th Jun, 2019
  5. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

That is too long ago for many people who were born here, let alone recent arrivals.

So many have told me that Syd never goes down....I doubt any of them were here back then :)

Perthguy likes this.
  6. Duck1234

Duck1234 Well-Known Member

I was too young to remember. What exactly happened? I guess it would have been caused by an increase in interest rate from the mining boom?

7. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Perhaps a change in investment strategy is the key, are you flipping, or can you rent out the place and pull out equity for next project?
    I was told property is a long term investment, my strategy for investing is never to sell, yet I don't understand yours, is it for income in flipping?
    Only sold 3 IPs and 1 PPOR in my lifetime, as IMHO they were lemons, I was missing out on better investment opportunities, but sometimes it is a lesson to be learned? Sometimes taking a loss and learning from it enables us to soldier on.....
    Also I am a realist, I look at now, my situation currently, hence like suggested concentrate on renovation/costs/deadlines, then deal with the challenges as they occur. SO I try to learn from the past and look into the future but I can only do things today, so I don't worry about things that will happen in the future as they are out of my control. So if I were you, you too should not worry about the future just deal with challenges today.

Perthguy likes this.
  8. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

You have been told that house prices are linked to interest rates but that is not true. It's only part of the story.

Sydney had a massive boom ending in 2003/2004. It ended because prices got too high and investors started buying in other states. The Sydney market didn't really start picking up again until 2013.

Put it this way, by 2007 the Perth market was peaking, the median house price in Perth was higher than Sydney for a brief time. Sydney and Perth had the same interest rates, so why did those same interest rates cause high prices in Perth and low prices in Sydney?

radson likes this.
  9. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

@WMI I wrote this posts years ago, you will see a made a recent update and things turned out very well ;)

10. Marcus Yuuu

Marcus Yuuu Well-Known Member

Thanking you

11. Rozz

Rozz Well-Known Member

Re: Perth peaking

WA mining drew a huge amount of east coasters to Perth and other parts of WA from 1992 onward, including me. Once mining wound back ..........back to Sydney thanks

WA needs another mineral hungry China, but there's hope from quick Chinese direct flights for a tourism kick if WA can get it right.

On the topic of flights, apparently Brisbane - Beijing direct flights are stopping from about late 2018 to early 2019, possibly longer.

Last edited: 25th Jul, 2018