QLD Calling all Logan (specifically Kingston) experts

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Robbo03, 2nd Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Robbo03

Robbo03 Well-Known Member

Hi,

Our BA has presented us a property in Kingston and I have done a reasonable amount of reading and personal research but wanted to put a few questions out to the area experts. The potential purchase strategy is a granny flat site, currently yielding 6.5% pre GF, with growth potential. All input is hugely appreciated.

- Are there any areas of Kingston to avoid?
    - Are there any specific things to be aware of within the suburb?
    - I have read that occasionally granny flats can also be subdivided - what are the requirements here?
    - Is the Logan City Council supportive of GF development on sub 800/1000sqm blocks in Kingston?
    - In the backyard of this property is a reasonably sized tree, would this be an issue to be removed in this local city council?

As I have said, any information that can be provided would be extremely appreciated!

Robbo

2. Connor

Connor Well-Known Member

Hi Robbo03

In addition to what you already asking, another thing i'd be looking at is the figures.

Purchase price of the property plus construction of the GF. And compare that cost to the end value of the project. Are you creating any equity? Or are you just breaking out even/loss?
    Is it cheaper to buy a house with a GF already existing?

If your BA is suggesting this property as a potential house and GF build strategy, then these figures need to make financial sense.

Whitecat and Robbo03 like this.
  3. Jmillar

Jmillar Well-Known Member

Regarding the tree, it shouldn't be an issue unless there is some sort of vegetation management overlay shown on PD Online. I had to remove a whole bunch of trees off a site in Marsden. I called Logan Council and they told me to just go and do it. No approvals etc needed (very different from Sydney!)

From my knowledge, generally sites 700-1,000sqm you can put a granny flat Max 70sqm, on 1,000sqm+ you can do up to 100sqm gf.

To subdivide it you need to have a subdividable block or one suitable for dual occ. How large is the site? Is it a corner block?

Robbo03 and Tom Rivera like this.
  4. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

I work in Kingston extensively, more than I wish I did at times! All of my tenants there are absolutely gorgeous, but it can be difficult to find the gems... Kingston is a very low socioeconomic area with a wide range of cultures represented who can clash.
    There aren't really defined "areas" to choose and avoid, but there are surprisingly nice streets and neighbour hood pockets hidden around the place. You can generally tell by the presentation of the homes and streets.

Logan Council is surprisingly lax on many matters, @Jmillar's experience is generally the norm, so I wouldn't expect you to have any issues with the tree unless it held a special planning significance. Their attitude also extends to building granny flats and split-living properties, you wont have an issue as long as you stick to the well defined guidelines. I've seen GF's built on blocks smaller than 800m2 with no problems, though having the space to work with is ideal.

Robbo03, Rich2011 and RetireRich101 like this.
  5. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

LCC didn't specific land size limit for Dual Occupancy (Auxiliary Unit)

I have seem them built on small as 350m2 land, as long as the setback and floor space ration are met.

Below we see Unit 1 (121m2) + Unit 2 (64m2) under 1 title on a 350m2 in Logan

upload_2017-9-9_16-12-55.png

upload_2017-9-9_16-13-31.png