NSW Calling a Sydney Peak - Great run while it lasted

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by standtall, 10th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

I am calling Sydney already past its peak based on following:

1. Constant drop on daily indices (longest consecutive days since available data)
    2. $6b levy on banks will put further cost pressure on investors
    3. New APRA regime
    4. Overall inflationary and interest rate pressures
    5. $300k super transfer for empty nesters will increase supply
    What does it mean for prices in Sydney:

- unit prices will take a hammering, no doubt
    - 1.5 to 3 million house market will get affected depending on how much interest rates go up
    - prices in older suburbs (long held properties) will get affected most due to supply coming in market from empty nesters

What's next:

- Hold Sydney if you can (the more keep holding, less the decline)
    - Brisbane house market has the best prospects now followed by Perth (3 years time frame)

Thoughts?

Perthguy, Kasi and zed_kid like this.
  2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Is it too late to access equity from Syd investments if you can?

Last edited: 10th May, 2017
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Perth bargains however yields have been hammered and we are a long way off recovery

Brissy fragmented market buy well

standtall likes this.
  4. standtall

Now probably is a bit late but banks will assess people on their individual balance sheets. It's probably not going to be as easy/generous as it was 4-5 months ago.

Personally, I took all the equity in Sydney out in January and part of it has been invested in Brisbane and other part waiting for a PPOR upgrade in Sydney when bargains start coming out.

Agreed - I have started watching it this year. It's a critical market for Australia's long term and shouldn't be written off.

100% agree - going with inner city blue chip properties with good yields. They are getting increasingly hard to find though.

Perthguy likes this.
  5. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Not sure Id call the top has passed in Sydney just yet.. You maybe right though..and I think thebudget yesterday might slightly help with Sydney slowdown.
    As long as there is no crash in Sydney, watch for other markets to get some more (prior Sydney) interest.

ej89 and standtall like this.
  6. zed_kid

zed_kid Well-Known Member

Let’s see what happens when spring comes. I hope this is the top, we all need a breather.

Brickbybrick and standtall like this.
  7. Air_Bender

Air_Bender Well-Known Member

I think there's still some steam left in the Sydney market. Properties are still selling for way over reserve price and auctions are well attended.

A slowdown is definitely on the cards but I just don't think we're there yet.

standtall and ndpjai like this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Even if the market starts tanking it happens over time like catching a falling knife, no rush, patience is required

Chabs likes this.
  9. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

I reckon a bit premature as well. Obviously markets in the west and south west have been flat for some time but April results in for some of the northern beaches are still strong. Beacon hill has increased 4.73% over the last quarter. Cromer and narraweena up also. Better picture in a few months around Spring I reckon.

Last edited: 10th May, 2017
    Ekin200 likes this.
  10. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Perth is frustrating me at the moment. Not a hot market by any stretch but it's def not dead.

11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Its a great time to upgrade primary residence as long as you have a job

Price sensitive

I am in no rush to buy in Perth, I would prefer to chase markets where the economy in better shape, my strategy

Phar Lap likes this.
  12. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

Its the attack on Investors that has me concerned, seems there is a target on our backs, do I speak for a few here?
    What on earth have we done to deserve this targeting?
    All above moreso in relation to APRA.

MikeyBallarat, Gladys and standtall like this.
  13. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Errr... investors made it so expensive in Sydney that FHB only make up something like 7% of the market, but investors made up over 50% of the market. Says it all really.

14. joel

joel Well-Known Member

Adelaide m8. Many businesses relocating there. Undervalued $$$$

15. Phar Lap

Says what all really, ???

So the idea is to punish existing investors right around the whole country at the hands of FHB's in Syd only? Really?

Says to me that there was demand for rentals and that demand may now have been satisfied. No?
    Has the Govt decided to "invest" in housing? Or are they slowly but surely divesting their interests in housing?

If not, then please explain, Im all ears (well eyes reading).

Perthguy likes this.
  16. standtall

Politicians are one of us. My federal member owns 8 properties in Sydney. Keep faith in them :)

17. Phar Lap

Too right, but APRA are not "politicians".

18. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

You are right to a point but you really can't blame investors when the government (RBA and APRA too) opened the doors for them wide open to invest. They kept to the supply not keeping up with demand rhyme and we need to build more while not addressing reform or the demand side so investors jumped in as expected.
    And now as per Phar Lap, the blame is shifting towards investors but really, the only ones to blame here are the RBA for lowest interest rates in history, APRA for waving a lettuce leaf at the banks and not acting earlier and the government for not tackling reform.

As for Sydney's peak,we're getting there but not sure if the budget matters targeting downsizers might have a positive or negative impact on the market.

Phar Lap likes this.
  19. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Yeah... perhaps investor interest rates should be much higher (like 2% more) than for OO's, give the OO's a chance. I mean, investors get negative gearing, depreciation, rental income to help service the loans whereas the poor OO only has income to include, there's no rent to help with the serviceability. That's why there are so many young rentvestors.
    But then again, large differentials in interest rates would add quite a bit to bank profits.... and the government wouldn't like that. The government will do anything to deflect critics away from them.... and it's a politically safe move to bash the banks... However... everybody with super is likely to be an existing bank owner. Banks will pass on extra costs...

20. Gonx

Gonx Well-Known Member

thanks Sydney, just cashed in on my NSW (Sydney piggybacked) property with about 60% profit over 5+ years. Time to move on as it has peaked, perfect timing but I would say it will spring back again not too far away. Good luck! I need to start a doom & gloom thread too :)